This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2606 / 53°15'38"N
Longitude: -2.1252 / 2°7'30"W
OS Eastings: 391748
OS Northings: 373739
OS Grid: SJ917737
Mapcode National: GBR FZLQ.QW
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.B98Q
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 17 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391049
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ9173NE MARKET PLACE
886-1/10/142 (East side)
17/03/77 Town Hall
Town hall, incorporating former police station. Town Hall
1823-4. By Francis Goodwin, with extensions of 1870 by James
Stevens of Macclesfield. Ashlar. Greek Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9-window range, with Ionic portico
projecting over the central section, with 4 unfluted columns.
Central doorway in polished granite architrave within, with
flanking sash windows, all with plain pilasters. This is
flanked by 2 bays each side articulated by plain pilasters,
and tripartite sash windows, themselves divided by plain
pilasters. Similar division above, with wide central window
above the doorway. High cornice and entablature.
Similar portico in return elevation to Churchside, the
original entrance front of 1823. Portico flanked by single
tripartite sash window to 1st floor, and plain sashes to
ground-floor left, with double doors to rear courtyard and
flanking side door to right. Portico itself part-filled by
screen wall carrying first-floor balcony and concealing
external stairs leading to balcony each side.
Former Borough Police Station adjoins to rear, part of the
1870 extensions. Similar style, with paired 2-pane sash
windows with moulded architraves set in panelled recesses each
side of central doorway. Scrolled frieze and cornice, then
panelled parapet. Lettering over ground floor.
INTERIOR largely as remodelled in 1870: central stair hall top
lit by painted glass lantern, the stone staircase with
cast-iron rails with lamps on the newels. Coffered ceiling.
Council chamber and former assembly room to first floor: wall
of chamber articulated by paired pilasters, painted coffered
ceiling with deeply moulded cornice and recessed panels.
Similar plasterwork in assembly room to rear.
Listing NGR: SJ9175073748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings