This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2623 / 53°15'44"N
Longitude: -2.1379 / 2°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 390899
OS Northings: 373929
OS Grid: SJ908739
Mapcode National: GBR FZHQ.Y8
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.487D
Entry Name: Macclesfield District General Hospital (Original Blocks Only)
Listing Date: 17 March 1977
Last Amended: 28 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391085
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ9073 PRESTBURY ROAD
886-1/6/180 (South side)
17/03/77 Macclesfield District General
Hospital (original blocks only)
(Formerly Listed as:
West Park Hospital (original portion
Former workhouse now part of hospital. 1843-5, with C20
alterations. Scott and Moffatt. Coursed and squared rubble
with scallop tiled roofs.
PLAN: symmetrically planned with long range running N-S with
projecting wings. 3 storeys. Central double-gabled entrance
and office block, originally dividing the female and male
areas of the building.
EXTERIOR: central 2-storeyed gabled porch with pinnacles to
coped gable. Windows over entrance all 2-light mullions with
shaped lights and drop-ended hoodmoulds. Lantern carrying
clock over centre, with leaded base, and weather vane.
Long ranges each side, with various small 2-light mullioned
windows and some inserted openings. Axial stacks with single
attic dormer window between them. These ranges formerly
comprised male day rooms to south, female day rooms to north
(Ordnance Survey, 1st edition, 1874). Projecting cross wings,
then a continuation of the main range, formerly housing male
and female school rooms.
Cross wings are 2-and-a-half-storeyed, with coped gable in
each face to front. Projecting gables over secondary doors on
north and south elevations, and dormer windows to attic
storey. Some alterations to fenestration, but many original
mullioned windows survive. 4-centred arched doorways (blocked
to front elevation) in angle with main range, linked across
rear elevation to central rear wing by lean-to glazed
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1874, the front wings housed infirm female
and male day-rooms and bedrooms to north and south, the rear
wings a nursery to the north, with tailor's shop to the south.
These rear wings each a 4-window range continued (as a
secondary phase after 1874) by single-storeyed blocks. On the
axis of the entrance, the central rear wing housed kitchen in
semi-basement with dining hall and chapel above.
A detached block around a courtyard to the west of the main
building was probably also part of the original plan, and in
1874 it housed the hospital accommodation together with the
services (laundry, boiler house etc). 3 storeys, with original
entrance (now altered) in west elevation between 2 shallow
outer wings. Mainly refenestrated, though many of the original
chamfered stone window openings survive. Extended successively
during early C20 and not included in this listing.
Listing NGR: SJ9089973929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings