This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9203 / 54°55'13"N
Longitude: -1.4057 / 1°24'20"W
OS Eastings: 438187
OS Northings: 558565
OS Grid: NZ381585
Mapcode National: GBR V84.7G
Mapcode Global: WHD55.CLVC
Plus Code: 9C6WWHCV+4P
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 10 November 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391414
Location: Southwick, Sunderland, SR5
Electoral Ward/Division: Southwick
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Wearside
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3858 CHURCH BANK, Southwick
920-1/8/283 (West side)
10/11/78 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1842. By George L Jackson. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Nave
with west tower, chancel with north vestry. Early English
style, with lancets and clasping buttresses.
EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave with narrow chancel. Chancel has 3 south
lights; stepped east lights with cinquefoils in spandrels.
4-bay nave with head and ballflower stops to hoodmould of
paired lancets on sill string. Tower, with buttresses reducing
to angle buttresses on upper stages, has ballflower-stopped
hoodmould over pointed-arched west door; lancet in second
stage; roundel in third; arcaded triple lancets in fourth, the
outer arches blind, under parapet with corner pinnacles.
High-pitched nave and chancel roofs. Vestry roof has hipped
INTERIOR: chancel with N vestry; nave with W gallery and W
tower porch. Chamfered chancel arch on imposts with dog-tooth
and roll mouldings. E window has nailhead-moulded rerearch on
nookshafts; trefoil shafts between lancets. All windows have
sloping reveals. Chancel has shouldered arch to vestry door;
geometric-pattern tiled sanctuary floor. Painted stone altar
with paintings of Evangelists in cusped panels. Renewed pulpit
and communion rail (using older posts). Arch-braced chancel
roof and queen-post nave roof on roll-moulded corbels.
STAINED GLASS: E window to Scott family d.1864 and 1882;
Chancel south: 3 lights to Agnes Collingwood d.1875, and Sarah
Thompson d.1866, with Christ the Good Shepherd, Faith and
Hope, signed Alex Gibbs, 21 Bloomsbury Sreet, London WC. Nave
SE window also signed Alex Gibbs fecit, 1901, to Collingwood,
rector, d.1898. Other C19 glass in nave includes fourth on
north side a Good Samaritan commemorating Charles Pickersgill,
Crown Road shipbuilding yard owner.
(Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland:
Listing NGR: NZ3818758565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings