This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9072 / 54°54'26"N
Longitude: -1.4081 / 1°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 438050
OS Northings: 557106
OS Grid: NZ380571
Mapcode National: GBR V7S.M9
Mapcode Global: WHD55.BXQF
Entry Name: Church of St Joseph
Listing Date: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391552
Location: Sunderland, SR4
Electoral Ward/Division: Millfield
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Bishopwearmouth Millfield St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3857 PAXTON TERRACE
920-1/10/171 (North side)
Church of St Joseph
Roman Catholic parish church. 1906-7. By the parish priest, Fr
Rogers, with Thomas Axtell. Moulded concrete blocks made on
site; Welsh slate roof with gable copings and terracotta ridge
cresting. Romanesque basilica style. Aisled continuous nave
and chancel with nave and aisle apses; W aisled porch.
EXTERIOR: round-headed windows with sloping sills, 5 in
panelled E apse and 3 in E aisle apses under half-conical
roofs, paired in aisles and clerestory under dripstring in 7
panelled bays. W porch has similar windows, paired in aisle
panels and single flanking central high round-headed door.
Door surround of triple roll moulding under chamfered arch on
pilasters with moulded imposts and drip string. Large rose
window over door has moulded surround; statues on brackets in
round-headed niches with dripmoulds flank door arch. Lombard
friezes to all gables, which have copings on moulded kneelers.
Pent aisle roofs; decorative ridge cresting with cross finials
to nave and chancel.
INTERIOR of painted blocks shows 7-bay arcade with painted
round piers except for east pair, of dark red granite, with
crocket capitals and chamfered round arches with dripstring.
High chancel and W arches on cross walls, with W choir
gallery. Big moulded corbels support king post roof with
arch-braced collars. Sill string to clerestory. S chancel
chapel has stained glass Annunciation by Atkinson Bros,
Newcastle; aisle windows have round panels showing saints, set
in tinted diagonal quarries; tinted glass in clerestory leaded
lights. Alabaster octagonal font with shafts. Foundation stone
in W porch dated 23 July 1906.
An early example of the use of moulded concrete blocks, with
additional historical interest of design by parish priest with
advice from Axtell, an engineer, who supervised the
construction. Blocks said to have been made by the men of the
(Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland:
Listing NGR: NZ3805057106
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings