This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9006 / 54°54'2"N
Longitude: -1.4102 / 1°24'36"W
OS Eastings: 437921
OS Northings: 556365
OS Grid: NZ379563
Mapcode National: GBR V7G.N1
Mapcode Global: WHD5C.92QZ
Entry Name: Church of St Gabriel
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391581
Location: Sunderland, SR4
Electoral Ward/Division: Barnes
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Bishopwearmouth St Gabriel
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ35NE SAINT GABRIEL'S AVENUE
920-1/4/206 (East side)
08/05/50 Church of St Gabriel
Formerly known as: Church of St Gabriel CHESTER ROAD.
Parish church. 1912. By CA Clayton Greene. Snecked tooled
limestone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof of graduated
Lakeland slate with stone copings. Aisled chancel with E
undercroft, and N vestry with organ chamber over; aisled nave
with transepts; W vestibule and porch. Art Nouveau
modification of Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: E gable has large 8-light window with 2 principal
mullions high in wall over 4 deep-set 3-light stone mullioned
windows; octagonal stair turrets at sides have set-back at
level of E window sill, string at eaves level and squat
turrets above with blind traceried panels; aisles have
low-pitched gables, 2 undercroft windows and single light at
outer edge above. N and S elevations have 2-light mullioned
windows, plain below and the upper with tracery under straight
heads. Raised crossing behind transepts has paired N and S
windows; transepts have large N and S windows and smaller
traceried windows in E walls; smaller windows also in nave
aisles, with 4-centred-arched doors at W ends. W one-storey
porch has 4-centred arch with hollow chamfered surround,
stiff-leaf ornament, and wide overlight, flanked by paired
2-light windows with ogee heads. High 8-light W window.
Buttresses, octagonal at E and W aisles, shallow and paired to
transepts and aisles, angle to crossing, tall and shallow to
chancel above aisles. All tracery curvilinear between
full-height mullions; all gables and parapets have
INTERIOR shows probable influence of St Andrew, Roker (qv) in
use of large nave piers to allow aisles beneath; very wide
nave; large crossing piers; roof trusses of kingpost and tie
beam over windows, of raised cruck-shapes between, all on
stone corbels. Panelled sanctuary with high quality oak
furnishings; Small rooms with half-glazed screens flank W
entrance; W passage has panelled doors with patterned glazed
strips of bevelled glass; groined ceiling. Stained glass in E
window by Marion D Grant. Watercolour hanging in W passage
shows church as planned, with octagonal crossing tower with
(Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland:
Listing NGR: NZ3792156365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings