This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9018 / 54°54'6"N
Longitude: -1.3854 / 1°23'7"W
OS Eastings: 439510
OS Northings: 556518
OS Grid: NZ395565
Mapcode National: GBR VC5.HX
Mapcode Global: WHD5C.P2H0
Entry Name: West Park United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 10 November 1978
Last Amended: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391597
Location: Sunderland, SR2
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael's
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Millfield St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3956NE STOCKTON ROAD
920-1/20/212 (East side)
10/11/78 West Park United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
West Park United Reformed Church)
Congregational church, now United Reformed Church. 1881-83. By
JP Pritchett. Coursed rock-faced stone with ashlar plinth and
dressings and red granite shafts; graduated Lakeland slate
roof with stone gable copings. E apsed chancel with
schoolrooms in 2-storey ambulatory; double transepts; aisled
nave; NW tower and SW porch with half-octagonal stair turret
projections. Late C14 style with geometric tracery.
EXTERIOR: steps up to W door, with tendril cast-iron hinges
and cross scutcheons, recessed in gabled projection between
nook-shafts in deep arch with dripmould above, and inner
rib-moulding resting on crocket capitals of intermediate
shafts. Crocketed gable over door; small windows at sides.
Similar treatment to smaller doors in flanking tower at left
and porch at right. Tall 5-light W window. 5-stage tower has
paired cusped lancets in second stage, 2-light third stage
window, clock in fourth, paired belfry openings in fifth with
nook-shafts and plate tracery; ashlar spire has 4 bands of
fish-scale patter, 2 levels of lucarnes, tall corner
spirelets. 2-light aisle windows and 3-light paired transept
windows on 2 levels, the lower cusped lights and the upper
cusped with tracery. 2 long windows to school stairs in
`ambulatory' which has paired cusped lights on 2 levels.
Polygonal hipped ambulatory roof from which rises
steeply-pitched hipped chancel roof with cusped tracery in big
2-light gabled lucarnes; paired gables on transepts;
steeply-pitched nave roof; pent stair turret roofs against
tower and porch.
INTERIOR shows meeting rooms and school rooms in ambulatory
have much original Gothic-style detail, including cast-iron
piers with octagonal base and fluted capital, stair balustrade
with twisted cast-iron balusters, 6-panelled doors including
pierced door to kitchen, dumb waiter, chimney-pieces, boarded
dado with wall bench, original heating system vents, levers
and vanes; upper central meeting room with hammer beam roof to
lucarnes. Chapel interior shows 5-light W window behind fine
Renaissance-style organ by Nelson & Co., Durham; high W
roll-moulded arch with inner arch on corbelled shafts. 2 tiers
of slender cast-iron piers with crocket capitals support
galleries along all 3 sides, the W over entrance vestibules;
upper arcades; plinths of upper piers painted with passion
flowers and scrolled names of virtues. Boarded hammer beam
roof. Deacons' seats below high quality central E pulpit of
fine ashlar stone with green marble shafts to blind pierced
arcade with much decorative carving in North Italian style;
shows some subsidence damage at time of survey.
High quality painted glass includes W window scene across all
5 panels, dated 1902, showing Christ in Glory; N transept
gallery Sermon on the Mount, and Christ's Charge to Peter and
John, signed Atkinson Bros.; N aisle window by J Eadie Reed
dated 1926. Also several C19 memorial slabs.
(Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People:
Sunderland: 1988-: 159).
Listing NGR: NZ3951056518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings