This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8997 / 54°53'58"N
Longitude: -1.3848 / 1°23'5"W
OS Eastings: 439552
OS Northings: 556279
OS Grid: NZ395562
Mapcode National: GBR VC8.DP
Mapcode Global: WHD5C.P3SN
Entry Name: Church of St George with Trininty and St James with Hall, Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391390
Location: Sunderland, SR2
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael's
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Bishopwearmouth St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3956SE BELVEDERE ROAD
920-1/22/17 (South side)
10/11/78 Church of St George with Trinity and
St James with hall, walls and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
St George's Presbyterian church and
Presbyterian church, now United Reformed church and joined by
other congregations, with adjacent hall, and walls and gates
attached. 1888-90. By John Bennie Wilson of Glasgow. Much of
finance provided by RA Bartram, shipowner, who laid the
foundation stone on February 7th 1889. Rock-faced red Dumfries
sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of small Lakeland slates
with red terracotta ridge tiles and stone gable finials.
Geographical S is ritual E. Aisled 5-bay nave, transepts, and
SW tower. Free C13 style with plate tracery, lancets, cusped
roundels, with distinctive tower.
EXTERIOR: aisles and west elevation have paired lancets with
plain reveals and alternate-block jambs; gallery windows have
long sloping sills and sill string. Gabled N and S transepts
have large top roundels set between 2 lancets in
double-recessed pointed arched panel; aisle galleries bays
defined by shallow pilasters rising from sill string; W
gallery has tall paired 2-light windows with central gabled
buttress and larger buttress at left defining tower. W gable
peak has small stepped lancets.
Tower: W gabled door projection has steps up to double doors
with central shaft under carved tympanum in many-moulded
surround, with chamfers dying into jambs, flanked by short
gabled buttresses. Smaller buttresses on left return; short
second stage behind door gable has simple blind arcade; tall
third stage has long slits near top; very tall fourth stage
has paired full-height cusped belfry openings with lower
lancets, cusped transoms, and tracery, between gabled
buttresses; spirelets on pinnacles to squat pyramidal roof
with swept finial. Steeply pitched roofs with cross finials.
Church hall attached to ritual NE is in similar materials and
style: L plan with octagonal porch in angle; 2 storeys, 4x4
windows. Date 1888 in E gable. Steeply pitched roof with high
pyramidal ridge ventilators, and tall octagonal roof to porch.
Walls attached enclose space between hall and church in
Stockton Road and continue along Belvedere Road. Rock-faced
walls, with renewed railings, have tooled ashlar square gate
piers with inner-facing gables on low conical coping; folding
4-leaf wrought-iron gates have scrolls and dogbars.
INTERIOR of church shows E organ; cast-iron piers, galleries
on 3 sides, boarded roof; high quality carved stone pulpit of
1907, a memorial, designed in consultation with the architect,
at centre in front of organ, and Elders' chairs in front of
pulpit. Much original detail including high quality pews.
Stained glass of high quality in most windows.
This church was built to replace the Villiers Street Chapel
(No.19 (qv)) because it was too small for the congregation.
(Hyslop R: Two Hundred Years 1739-1939 St George's
Presbyterian Church: Sunderland: 1939-).
Listing NGR: NZ3955256279
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings