History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7662 / 53°45'58"N

Longitude: -2.7426 / 2°44'33"W

OS Eastings: 351143

OS Northings: 430236

OS Grid: SD511302

Mapcode National: GBR T3B.2G

Mapcode Global: WH85L.VL5M

Entry Name: Ashton House

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392109

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ashton-on-Ribble St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD53SW PEDDER LANE, Ashton On Ribble
941-1/1/312 (West side)
Ashton House

GV II

Formerly known as: Ashton Lodge PEDDER LANE Ashton On Ribble.
Large house, now day care centre. Probably c.1810, enlarged
and remodelled c.1850. Sandstone ashlar with brick rear walls,
slate roofs. Formerly U-plan with side wings, modified by
incorporation of rear courtyard and additions to rear. Two
storeys; a symmetrical tripartite composition with a 5-window
main range and 2-window wings linked to the rear corners; with
a plinth, 1st-floor band carried round, plain frieze and
moulded cornice with blocking course. The main range has a
central 3-window segmental bow (enclosed at ground floor by an
added rusticated and pilastered 3-bay porch with rounded
corners and round-headed doorway and side windows), 2 tall
windows at ground floor recessed in segmental headed arches
with splayed voussoirs, and 5 shorter windows at 1st floor
with raised sills; and a shallow hipped roof. Behind the ridge
is a prominent rectangular added lantern which has a very
large semicircular window in each side, with radiating
mullions and glazing bars, all set in open-pedimented gables,
and tall side-wall chimneys. The return walls have 5 windows
on each floor. The side wings, treated as pedimented pavilions
with narrow linking bays, each have a tripartite window at
ground floor of the front and side walls, a round-headed
doorway and side windows at ground floor of the link, and
plain windows above. All the windows now have C20 glazing.
INTERIOR: central well (formerly open yard), with ornamental
cast-iron balustrade to balcony, and very elaborate decoration
including pilastered arcading and coffered barrel-vaulting;
elaborate decoration in various rooms. History: residence of
Pedder family, founders of Preston's first bank, and probably
remodelled by Edward Pedder who inherited in 1846 and died in
1861, when it was discovered that he had used bank funds for
private purposes. Has similarities with design by Soane for
unnamed villa in Lancashire (drawing in RIBA collection).
Forms group with former coach-house (etc) opposite (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5114330236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.