History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of St Paul (Now Red Rose Radio)

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7624 / 53°45'44"N

Longitude: -2.6941 / 2°41'38"W

OS Eastings: 354340

OS Northings: 429789

OS Grid: SD543297

Mapcode National: GBR TBR.LN

Mapcode Global: WH85M.LP9H

Entry Name: Former Church of St Paul (Now Red Rose Radio)

Listing Date: 28 March 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392157

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429NW ST PAUL'S SQUARE
941-1/10/265 former Church of St Paul (now
28/03/77 Redrose Radio)

II

Church, now local radio station. 1823-5, Thomas Rickman and
Hutchinson; enlarged and renovated 1882; altered. Sandstone
ashlar; roof now tiled. Early English style, with lancet
windows throughout. Rectangular plan under 3-span roof, plus
chancel and attached offices. The nave is embraced by
full-height aisles, forming a tripartite west front with a
gabled centre framed by octagonal turrets, and narrow
parapeted side pieces with diagonal buttresses. The centre has
at ground floor a 3-bay arcade of 2-centred blank arches with
hoodmoulds which have figured stops, a chamfered window in
each arch, 3 stepped lancets above with linked hoodmoulds run
out as an impost band, a small circular window above these,
and a parapeted gable with apex cross. The flanking turrets
have tall and very slender open arcading, cornices, and
embattled caps surmounted by tall pinnacles with carved
quatrefoil finials. Each side piece has one tall lancet with a
hoodmould, and a parapet and shallow hipped roof. The 7-bay
sides have buttresses, a 2-centred arched doorway in the 1st
bay with a window above, and tall coupled lancets in the other
bays, all these openings with hoodmoulds which have figured
and foliated stops. The 2-bay chancel (altered as garage at
ground floor) has an east window of 3 tall stepped lancets
with foliated shafts, and pinnacles like those at the front;
and flanking one-bay offices in similar style.
INTERIOR: remodelled but retains aisle arcades of very tall
slender clustered shafts with moulded caps and roll-moulded
2-centred arches, and at ground floor of west end a 3-bay
arcade of polished columns with carved foliated caps.


Listing NGR: SD5434029789

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.