This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1145 / 51°6'52"N
Longitude: -0.19 / 0°11'24"W
OS Eastings: 526788
OS Northings: 136580
OS Grid: TQ267365
Mapcode National: GBR JKL.0SG
Mapcode Global: VHGSW.N7DZ
Plus Code: 9C3X4R75+QX
Entry Name: The Ancient Priors (Minters Restaurant a Louis Coiffeur)
Listing Date: 21 June 1948
Last Amended: 23 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363347
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH10
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Northgate
Built-Up Area: Crawley
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Crawley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
5403 (east side)
No 49 and No 51
The Ancient Priors
A Louis Coiffeur)
(formerly listed as
No 47, The Square)
TQ 2636 NE 5/24 21.6.48
Timber-framed hall-house of circa 1450 with L-wing added circa 1530 and modern brick wing
later. Restored in 1927. Two storeys timber-framed with Horsham slab roof. Four bays.
Front elevation has projecting first floors on brackets with gables above with decorative
curved braces. Front elevation mainly close-studded. Side elevation square framing.
Modern casement windows but blocked original window openings remain. Later shopfronts.
Doorcase has a flat arch with shield in spandrels. On one of these is a crown of
antique shape, 2 fleur de lys seen sideways, a third in the middle and a leaf between.
The hall runs north to south with a solar and chamber beneath it either end.
The hall is 23ft long of 2 bays, each about 10ft long. Open timber
roof with cambered tie beam, arch-braced collar beam, moulded wall plates and curved
mid-braces. A chimney and floor were inserted in the C16. Two C16 stone fireplaces
in the ground and first floor rooms at the north end. A 2-storey wing, probably a
kitchen wing of about 1530 projects eastward from the south end. Two staircases,
are hung a heavy Jacobean rail with turned balusters. A complete and well-preserved
example of a C15 hall-house. This may have been the Pre-Reformation Priest's house.
Reputed connexions with smuggling.
(See V C H Sussex vii 144.
Sussex Archaeological Collections Vol LV (1912) pp 12-16).
Listing NGR: TQ2678836580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings