This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4527 / 51°27'9"N
Longitude: -2.6188 / 2°37'7"W
OS Eastings: 357096
OS Northings: 172814
OS Grid: ST570728
Mapcode National: GBR C2L.R3
Mapcode Global: VH88M.KRD7
Plus Code: 9C3VF93J+3F
Entry Name: Numbers 29 to 40 and Attached Basement Area Railings, Terrace, Balustrade, and Wall to Number 40
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379393
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5772NW CORNWALLIS CRESCENT, Clifton
901-1/14/835 (South side)
08/01/59 Nos.29-40 (Consecutive)
and attached basement area railings,
terrace, balustrade, and wall to
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.29, 30-40 (Consecutive))
Terrace of 11 houses. Begun 1791. Possibly designed by William
Paty. Work stopped 1793, completed 1827. Limestone ashlar
front and render over brick to the rear, party wall stacks and
slate and pantile mansard half hipped roof. Double-depth plan.
Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement;
A concave terrace with an ashlar garden front articulated by
giant pilasters through a plat band to modillion cornice and
parapet, and banded ground floor; No.40 steps forward.
6/9-pane first-floor sashes, 6/6-panes the rest, and dormers.
Projecting vaulted basement forms a full-width terrace with a
rusticated front with large semicircular arches, and
balustrade. Some tented first-floor balconies with oval
Rear entrance elevations have left-hand doorways with Ionic
pilasters, entablature and cornice, semicircular arches with
fanlights and 6-panel doors with flush lower panels and upper
raised ones with cut out corners; blocked to No.38, 2-storey
porches to Nos 31 & 32, 33-39, bowed with rusticated ground
floors to Nos 34 & 39. No.40 breaks forward, with a larger
doorway. Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane
sashes, No.40 has a central semicircular-arched stair window
with triple 2/6/6-pane sashes, 2 storey left-hand extension
with a modillion cornice.
INTERIOR: entrance hall and dogleg stair with stick balusters,
column newels and ramped rail and curtail; ground-floor rooms
interconnected by folding doors, full-width front rooms,
reeded architraves to 6-panel doors and panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rear basement area wrought-iron
railings with urn finials, overthrow arches to Nos 30 & 40.
Attached rubble wall extends approx 50m from No.40 beside
HISTORICAL NOTE: planned as part of a much longer terrace
including Nos 1-23 (qv). During the hiatus caused by the
bankruptcy of the developers in 1793, a right of way was
formed between the 2 sections. '...one of the most ambitious
schemes undertaken during the heyday of speculative building
in Bristol.' (Ison).
(Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 123; Gomme
A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History:
Bristol: 1979-: 223).
Listing NGR: ST5709672814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings