This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0158 / 53°0'56"N
Longitude: -1.7376 / 1°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 417698
OS Northings: 346526
OS Grid: SK176465
Mapcode National: GBR 48P.ZFS
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.8GTD
Entry Name: Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79821
Location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
Civil Parish: Ashbourne
Built-Up Area: Ashbourne
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbourne St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Old Grammar School
SK 14 NE 1/13 15.6.5l.
1586. Founded by Queen Elizabeth in the previous year. Ashlar. 2 storeys and
attics. Large gable each side, 4 smaller gables centre, all with obelisk finials.
The upper fenestration consists of 3-light mullioned windows with arched heads
(4-lights sides). The lower consists of 8-light trans-mullioned window (10-light
sides). 2 entrances with 4-centred arches and enriched spandrels, flanked by
fluted pedestal pilasters supporting slight entablatures, the right hand restored.
Moulded hood containing armorial panel on left hand. Steps.
Nos 43 to 61 (odd), and the Old Grammar School and the pavement at the front
of the Old Grammar School form a group of the greatest importance.
Listing NGR: SK1769846526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings