This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4347 / 50°26'5"N
Longitude: -3.5672 / 3°34'2"W
OS Eastings: 288792
OS Northings: 60605
OS Grid: SX887606
Mapcode National: GBR QT.S14R
Mapcode Global: FRA 37FX.02J
Plus Code: 9C2RCCMM+V4
Entry Name: United Reformed Church and Adjoining School
Listing Date: 25 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383789
Location: Torbay, TQ4
Electoral Ward/Division: Roundham-with-Hyde
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Paignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8860 DARTMOUTH ROAD
1947-1/5/28 (North East side)
United Reformed Church and adjoining
Non-conformist chapel. 1886 to the designs of GS Bridgman,
contractor HP Raddich (datestone).
MATERIALS: Local grey snecked limestone with Bathstone and red
sandstone bands and dressings; slate roof; crested ridge
PLAN: Sited on the corner of Dartmouth and Commercial Roads,
chapel and school roofed on a W/E axis, chapel faces W onto
Dartmouth Road, school to N Chapel has SW tower.
EXTERIOR: Free Decorated Gothic style. Gabled W front to
chapel with coped gable; shallow gabled projection to left and
tower to right. Large 4-light traceried W window with
hoodmould and red sandstone apron, moulded string rises below.
Shallow gabled porch with a shoulder-headed W doorway with red
sandstone detached shafts with carved capitals and a sexafoil
in the tympanum. One-light shoulder-headed windows to left and
right of porch. Projection to the left has shoulder-headed
doorway with relieving arch over and original plank doors with
elaborate strap hinges. Decorative gable over doorway below
stone panel with blind roundel decoration; pair of lancets
The tower to the right is square on plan to the lower stage,
octagonal above with a waterleaf-carved corbel frieze below a
stone spire with bands of yellow and red stone. On the W face
the tower has a shoulder-headed doorway with original doors
below a shallow gable with a sexafoil in the tympanum; stone
panel with roundel decoration over. Tall 2-tier 2-light window
above with plate tracery, trefoil in head and frieze of blind
cinquefoils and polished stones across the centre. Other faces
of tower similar; blind lucarnes to spire.
S side of chapel with buttresses with set-offs and 5-window
elevation, 2 windows with gables above the eaves. Toothed red
brick frieze below moulded stone cornice. Tall 2-light windows
with 2 transoms, the upper lights with shouldered heads. Those
with gables have arched heads with red sandstone voussoirs and
sexafoils and polished stones in the tympana. Vestry block to
right gabled to the S with 2-light window with transom and
shoulder-headed lights. The E end has a coped gable and small
canted slate-roofed projection.
The school is linked to the chapel by a small porch block
facing W. Gabled schoolroom, slightly broken forward in the
centre with a tall arched 4-light mullioned window with
moulded mullions and 3 transoms. Apron of decorative brickwork
below window. Doorway to right with shouldered doorframe below
deep overlight with a hoodmould. To left lower block with one
3 and one 2-light transomed windows.
INTERIOR: Remodelled in C20.
An imposing group by GS Bridgman, a developer architect who
was responsible for many of the buildings of late C19
(Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX8879260605
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings