This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5228 / 51°31'22"N
Longitude: -0.1064 / 0°6'23"W
OS Eastings: 531467
OS Northings: 182130
OS Grid: TQ314821
Mapcode National: GBR N8.89
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3ZLH
Entry Name: 29, Clerkenwell Green
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368771
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182SW CLERKENWELL GREEN
635-1/73/280 (North East side)
Formerly known as: Fox and French Public House CLERKENWELL
Former public house, now restaurant. 1860-1865 added to, and
ground-floor extensively altered C20. Possibly by Charles
Gray. Different hues of yellow stock brick set in Flemish bond
with stone dressings; Welsh-slate shallow pitched roof with
projecting bracketed eaves. Ground-floor open-plan cafe; house
door to extension leads to upper floors (now restaurant).
Quasi-Moorish/Venetian Gothic Style. On curved corner site.
Three storeys; 6 bays wide including full-height 3-bay
extension on left (2:1:1:2:2:2 windows). Windows diminish in
height as they go up; broad expanses of plain brick to
intervening bays. 1st floor gauged-brick flat-headed ogee
arches to paired 1/1 sashes with engaged columns between each
pair; gauged-brick round-headed triple 1/1 sashes to 2nd floor
articulated by colonettes and projecting bracketed sills with
cast-iron guards. Stucco floral roundels below 2nd-floor
sashes. Modillioned cornice to ground-floor; the good brackets
are recent additions. Extension with similiar but plainer
details. INTERIOR: : denuded and reworked ground-floor with no
pub features evident.
(Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-).
Listing NGR: TQ3146682133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings