This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5228 / 51°31'22"N
Longitude: -0.1066 / 0°6'23"W
OS Eastings: 531452
OS Northings: 182134
OS Grid: TQ314821
Mapcode National: GBR N8.68
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3ZHG
Entry Name: Clerk's Well and Chamber/Enclosure in Basement of Number 16
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368888
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182SW FARRINGDON LANE
635-1/73/388 (East side)
Clerk's Well and chamber/enclosure
in basement of No. 16
(Formerly Listed as:
'Clerk's Well' and enclosure in
basement of no. 16)
Well and chamber/enclosure with pump spout, located in left
side of basement of No. 16 Farringdon Lane. c.1174, altered;
pump spout, 1800. Brick and stone, with C20 cement steyning
and low stone curb. Circular well situated in a rectangular
enclosure of medieval ashlar repaired with C16 and C17
plumby-red brick work set in English bond. Paved stone floor.
The north-east and northwest sides survive; the north-east
wall probably formed part of the precinct wall of St. Mary's
Priory. Well protected by wooden batten cover with strap
hinges (date unknown). Set in wall above is iron plate with
brief account of the well, and pump spout projecting from it.
History: the well is mentioned by Fitzstephen (1174) and is
described by Stow as 'curbed about square with hard stone'
immediately west of the churchyard wall of Clerkenwell Church.
The church and district took the name of the well, and the
well took the name of the parish clerks who annually presented
Passion plays there during the medieval period. The spring was
provided with a pump in 1800. The plate is preserved in the
well chamber. The well was closed in 1857 and rediscovered in
1924. It is now in the charge of Islington Borough Council.
Listing NGR: TQ3145282134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings