History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bacons Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountnessing, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6588 / 51°39'31"N

Longitude: 0.3832 / 0°22'59"E

OS Eastings: 564940

OS Northings: 198248

OS Grid: TQ649982

Mapcode National: GBR NJW.V10

Mapcode Global: VHJKD.LKGQ

Entry Name: Bacons Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373736

Location: Mountnessing, Brentwood, Essex, CM4

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Mountnessing

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Mountnessing St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stock

Listing Text


MOUNTNESSING

TQ69NW HALL LANE
723-1/6/457 (North West side)
20/02/76 Bacons Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
HALL LANE, Mountnessing
Bacons Farmhouse)

GV II

House. Early C17 and early C19. Timber-framed and red brick in
Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Early C17
timber-framed range of 3 bays aligned approximately NE-SW,
formerly connected to another building at the NE end (possibly
a medieval hall range), now missing, incorporated in an early
C19 brick building of square plan facing SE. One internal
stack in middle bay of C17 range, to rear of axis, and another
internal stack to right of this range. One partly external
stack to rear right, the shaft rebuilt, and another at rear
left which is corbelled out from the wall to serve the first
floor only, now truncated at eaves level. 2 storeys and attic
Single-storey wing to rear centre turning to left to form an
L-plan, C19, much altered in C20. The front elevation has a
3-window range of early C19 sashes of 8+8 lights with
plastered flat arches and projecting keys, and some crown
glass. Off-centre half-glazed double doors in Tuscan portico
with wooden columns; concrete threshold. The right elevation
has in each storey 3 early C19 sashes of 6+6 lights with
similar arches. The left elevation has in each storey 3 early
C19 sashes of 6+6 horizontal lights with segmental brick
arches, and a plain boarded door and simple flat canopy on
profiled brackets; C20 casement in flat-roofed dormer. The
roof is hipped, forming one range parallel with the front
elevation and 3 ranges individually hipped at the rear. The
rear range is of C19 handmade bricks externally, partly of
Flettons internally, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles.
INTERIOR: the timber-framed core is wholly incorporated in the
later building, and little of it is visible below roof level.
In the entrance-hall is a chamfered axial beam with lamb's
tongue stops at the right end, the left end is severed for a
C19 stair; similar axial beam to left. The roof is of
butt-purlin form, 2 purlins to each pitch, with rafters of
vertical section tenoned to the lower purlins, passing over
the upper purlins, with a later ridge-piece. The frame is
wholly of oak of high quality, and the original roof is
complete, except that at the left end the former gable has
been altered to a hip. At the front early C19 rafters carry
the roof out at a lower pitch to the brick elevation. At the
right end one mortice in each principal rafter indicates that
2 purlins formerly connected it to another building, now
missing. INTERIOR: has many early C19 features. The front
doorway and all ground-floor windows at the front and right
side have folding internal shutters in square reveals with
reeded surrounds. To left of the entrance-hall is a
semi-elliptical arch, and another to rear of it; a doorway
with semicircular head has been made in the original rear wall
of the timber-framed range. Most of the doors on the ground
floor are of 6 moulded panels, and 2 on the first floor; one
to rear right of the entrance hall has a reeded doorcase with
carved rosettes; another to left of it has a similar doorcase,
altered. Early C19 moulded skirtings. Later fireplaces.
Within the moat of a moated site.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Bacon's was a manor at least from the time of
Edmund and John Bacunne, who obtained a licence from Edward I
to enclose a wood to form a park. In 1375 it comprised 100
acres of arable, 12 acres of pasture and 4 acres of meadow. It
was purchased by Sir William Petre after 1514, and has
remained in the Petre family to the present day.
(Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex:
1768-: 44).


Listing NGR: TQ6494098248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


MOUNTNESSING

TQ69NW HALL LANE
723-1/6/457 (North West side)
20/02/76 Bacons Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
HALL LANE, Mountnessing
Bacons Farmhouse)

GV II

House. Early C17 and early C19. Timber-framed and red brick in
Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Early C17
timber-framed range of 3 bays aligned approximately NE-SW,
formerly connected to another building at the NE end (possibly
a medieval hall range), now missing, incorporated in an early
C19 brick building of square plan facing SE. One internal
stack in middle bay of C17 range, to rear of axis, and another
internal stack to right of this range. One partly external
stack to rear right, the shaft rebuilt, and another at rear
left which is corbelled out from the wall to serve the first
floor only, now truncated at eaves level. 2 storeys and attic
Single-storey wing to rear centre turning to left to form an
L-plan, C19, much altered in C20. The front elevation has a
3-window range of early C19 sashes of 8+8 lights with
plastered flat arches and projecting keys, and some crown
glass. Off-centre half-glazed double doors in Tuscan portico
with wooden columns; concrete threshold. The right elevation
has in each storey 3 early C19 sashes of 6+6 lights with
similar arches. The left elevation has in each storey 3 early
C19 sashes of 6+6 horizontal lights with segmental brick
arches, and a plain boarded door and simple flat canopy on
profiled brackets; C20 casement in flat-roofed dormer. The
roof is hipped, forming one range parallel with the front
elevation and 3 ranges individually hipped at the rear. The
rear range is of C19 handmade bricks externally, partly of
Flettons internally, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles.
INTERIOR: the timber-framed core is wholly incorporated in the
later building, and little of it is visible below roof level.
In the entrance-hall is a chamfered axial beam with lamb's
tongue stops at the right end, the left end is severed for a
C19 stair; similar axial beam to left. The roof is of
butt-purlin form, 2 purlins to each pitch, with rafters of
vertical section tenoned to the lower purlins, passing over
the upper purlins, with a later ridge-piece. The frame is
wholly of oak of high quality, and the original roof is
complete, except that at the left end the former gable has
been altered to a hip. At the front early C19 rafters carry
the roof out at a lower pitch to the brick elevation. At the
right end one mortice in each principal rafter indicates that
2 purlins formerly connected it to another building, now
missing. INTERIOR: has many early C19 features. The front
doorway and all ground-floor windows at the front and right
side have folding internal shutters in square reveals with
reeded surrounds. To left of the entrance-hall is a
semi-elliptical arch, and another to rear of it; a doorway
with semicircular head has been made in the original rear wall
of the timber-framed range. Most of the doors on the ground
floor are of 6 moulded panels, and 2 on the first floor; one
to rear right of the entrance hall has a reeded doorcase with
carved rosettes; another to left of it has a similar doorcase,
altered. Early C19 moulded skirtings. Later fireplaces.
Within the moat of a moated site.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Bacon's was a manor at least from the time of
Edmund and John Bacunne, who obtained a licence from Edward I
to enclose a wood to form a park. In 1375 it comprised 100
acres of arable, 12 acres of pasture and 4 acres of meadow. It
was purchased by Sir William Petre after 1514, and has
remained in the Petre family to the present day.
(Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex:
1768-: 44).


Listing NGR: TQ6494098248

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.