This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5292 / 51°31'45"N
Longitude: -0.1136 / 0°6'49"W
OS Eastings: 530948
OS Northings: 182826
OS Grid: TQ309828
Mapcode National: GBR L6.M0
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.ZT9M
Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 3 (Consecutive) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369202
Location: Islington, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3082NE PERCY CIRCUS
635-1/67/686 (East side)
29/09/72 Nos.1-3 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Three irregular terraced houses. Forming a short cresent
between Great Percy Street and Prideaux Place on the eastern
side of a circus built on steep hill. 1841-1843; terraces
along northern portion of circus destroyed in war. Circus laid
out and probably designed by William Chadwell Mylne for the
New River Estate. Gold and brown stock bricks set in Flemish
bond with banded stucco ground-floor with channelling and
stucco dressings; roofs obscured by parapet except rear of no.
1 which has artificial-slate mansard roof, brick party-wall
stacks. Side-hall entrance plan to no. 2, others with entrance
to left and right return wall in Great Percy Street and
Prideaux Place. Four storeys and basement; 1 window each.
Steps rise to recessed doorway with pilaster jambs carrying
corniced-heads, rectangular 2-light overlight and double or
4-panelled door (no. 3 C20 door). Ground-floor with original
(no. 1) and altered tripartite (no. 3) and 6/6 (no. 2) sashes.
1st floor stucco sill band to full-length 8/8 (no.1), 6/6 (no.
2) and 2/2 tripartite (no. 3) architraved sashes with
console-bracketed cornices and individual iron bracketed
cast-iron balconies with palmette pattern railings. 2nd floor
6/6 architraved sashes with keystones; 3rd floor stucco sill
band to gauged-brick flat arched 3/6 sashes. Stucco cornice
(no. 1 removed) and blocking course. Left return (no. 1):
blind windows, on upper floors with gauged-brick flat arches.
Right return: C20 sashes punched into solid brick wall.
Attached cast-iron porch and area railings with urn finials.
History: Percy Circus was one of the last additions to the New
River Estate and named in honour of Robert Percy Smith, one of
the governors of the New River Company. The Circus suffered
extensive damage in the 2nd World War and 2 ranges along its
northern side were destroyed by bombing; in 1968 a 3rd was
pulled down in order to build the Royal Scot Hotel. Percy
Circus is one of London's few circuses and its only
Listing NGR: TQ3094882826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings