History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Castle Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5203 / 51°31'12"N

Longitude: -0.1042 / 0°6'15"W

OS Eastings: 531628

OS Northings: 181853

OS Grid: TQ316818

Mapcode National: GBR N9.R6

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.41RW

Entry Name: The Castle Public House

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368840

Location: Islington, London, EC1M

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE COWCROSS STREET
635-1/77/347 (North side)
Nos.32-35 (Consecutive)
The Castle public house (34-5)

GV II

Includes: Nos.101 & 102 TURNMILL STREET.
Public house at nos 34-35 flanked by industrial or commercial
buildings in Cowcross Street and Turnmill Street. 1865. By
H.Dawson. Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stucco, and
possibly also stone, roof of artifical slate so far as
visible. Four and five storeys over basement, thirteen-window
range. The pub of five-window range and projecting slightly
between symmetrical wings, the whole front curved in plan, the
outer bays also projecting slightly. The two wings match each
other except that nos 32-33 Cowcross Street has been plastered
over. On nos 101-102 Turnmill Street the ground floor is
stuccoed; flat-arched entrance to right with segmental-arched
overlight set in rusticated surround; the other three
openings, which are slighly altered, have segmental stilted
arches with faceted keystones and paterae in the spandrels;
moulded stucco cornice. Outer window on each floor
round-arched; the rest flat-arched to first floor, and
segmental-arched above with keystones and alternating stone
and brick voussoirs; roundel with cock in low relief below
outer second-floor window. Stucco cornice and blocking course.

The pub has a ground-floor frontage of stucco or possibly
stone with a deep base and paired pilasters to either side
linked by blocks, fascia and cornice over; between these the
pub front consists of a central entrance flanked by two
flat-arched windows of unequal width on either side; slim
fluted columns between entrance and windows, pairs of similar
columns between windows. Upper windows segmental-arched to
first floor, round-arched to second and third floors with sill
bands to first and second floors, bracketed cornice at sill
level to third floor; the central windows a group of three
with broad stucco architrave, archivolts and shallow arcaded
bracketed balcony to central window on the second floor; deep
bracketed cornice; three round-arched dormers with metal
finials rising from the parapet. The only original features of
the interior are the decorative treatment of the beams, and
possibly the ceiling paper.
There is a pawnbroker's sign on the outside of the pub. George
IV granted the landlord here a pawnbroker's license, which
still holds good today, in reward for the loan of money
against his pocket-watch, to pay for his gambling depts at a
Clerkenwell cockfight.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3162881853

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.