History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26 and 27, Cowcross Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5203 / 51°31'13"N

Longitude: -0.1037 / 0°6'13"W

OS Eastings: 531663

OS Northings: 181855

OS Grid: TQ316818

Mapcode National: GBR N9.V6

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.511W

Entry Name: 26 and 27, Cowcross Street

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368839

Location: Islington, London, EC1M

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE COWCROSS STREET
635-1/77/346 (North side)
Nos.26 AND 27

GV II

Workshops or warehouse. 1879, by Thomas Milbourn, with
ground-floor entrance of c.1925. Red brick set in Flemish bond
with dressings of blue and yellow brick, terracotta, stone and
tiles; roof obscured by parapet. Four storeys, four-window
range. On the ground floor, only the fascia survives and the
flat-arched entrance to the left, faced with ashlar and
decorated with broad panels of fluting and wrought-iron work
to grilles, overlight and door; the rest demolished at time of
survey. Upper windows have shallow straight-sided pointed
arches of stone, the chamfered faces decorated with dogtooth
ornament; over the window-heads are pointed-arched panels
whose varied ornament in different more or less integral
materials is the particular feature of the building: to the
first floor, bands of blue, red and yellow brick, horizontal
to the outer windows, diagonal to the inner; to the second
floor, bands of moulded terracotta ornament against blue brick
to outer windows, octagonal tiles to inner; the six-windowed
third floor has terracotta decoration to the outer windows,
then two of tiles,then two of terracotta; all windows divided
into two straight-sided pointed arches with slim metal
columns, except for second-floor right-hand window. Moulded
sill bands to second and third floors; openwork stone
quatrefoils in spandrels between windows; continuous arcade of
relieving arches in brick and stone to parapet.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3166381855

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.