This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4769 / 51°28'36"N
Longitude: -2.6295 / 2°37'46"W
OS Eastings: 356376
OS Northings: 175509
OS Grid: ST563755
Mapcode National: GBR C09.CF
Mapcode Global: VH88M.C4QP
Entry Name: Stoke House, Clifton Theological College, and Attached Rear Kitchen
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380621
Location: Bristol, BS9
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5675 STOKE HILL, Stoke Bishop
901-1/31/2012 (North East side)
08/01/59 Stoke House, Clifton Theological
College, and attached rear kitchen
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Clifton Theological College, Stoke
House, now college. Dated 1669. Extended mid C18, extended and
partly refaced 1872 by Foster and Wood. Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings, ashlar end-gable stacks and tiled
Early centralised double-depth plan with a central hall.
Jacobean style with Jacobethan Revival-style refacing. 2
storeys and attic; 5-window range.
3 ogee gables and a full-height central porch; a fine late C17
ashlar doorcase has helical columns to naive Corinthian
capitals, a segmental pediment over an elliptical doorway,
with a heraldic cartouche flanked by angels, and a date panel;
above is a pedimented cross window, and to the sides of the
porch are late C17 rectangular panels with oval lights, and
broken pediments on the ground floor and segmental pediments
above; similar lights in the gables.
Either side are C19 two-storey bays with bowed fronts and 5
curved and 2 flanking plate-glass sashes with mullions and
transoms. Strapwork parapets to bays and porch; in the valley
behind a crenellated flat roof above the stair well; 3 groups
of 4 ashlar gable stacks in the plain end gables, and ogee
gables to rear either side of the stair.
INTERIOR: a quadripartite vault on carved springers to the
porch; a large central hall with vine-leaf cornice, doorways
with eared architraves and panelled reveals, and a fine C17
newel-framed stair with wainscotting, restored mid C19, with
carved splat balusters and panelled newels with open pyramid
tops and pendants; C18 dogleg stair in the right-hand rear
extension, with turned balusters and column newels and a
ramped rail; stairs to the attic have turned balusters and
panelled newels with ball finials.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached square 3-storey kitchen block to
the rear with gables to each side and cross windows.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 474).
Listing NGR: ST5637675509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings