History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Assembly

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.048 / 54°2'52"N

Longitude: -2.8028 / 2°48'10"W

OS Eastings: 347532

OS Northings: 461637

OS Grid: SD475616

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.ZN

Mapcode Global: WH846.XJH2

Entry Name: Assembly

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383185

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE KING STREET
1685-1/7/151 (West side)
18/02/70 Assembly Rooms
(Formerly Listed as:
KING STREET
Assembly Rooms (now used as
Employment Exchange))

GV II

Assembly room, now antique market and dance studio. 1759,
enlarged and altered early and late C19. Possibly by Richard
Gillow. For the trustees of Penny's Hospital (qv). Coursed
dressed sandstone with quoins and ashlar dressings. Slate
roof. Originally L-shaped with a rear wing at the right to
house the staircase, but extended behind the main block in the
early C19, and again behind the left in the later C19.
2 tall storeys and 5 bays, almost symmetrical. The central
entrance has a semicircular Tuscan porch mounted on 3
semicircular steps, with 2 columns and semicolumns without
bases, and a doorway with plain surround. To the right, the
5th bay contains a tall doorway with a square overlight and
raised quoined surround, leading to the staircase to the
assembly room on the upper floor. The windows at ground floor
have matching surrounds, but those at 1st floor have raised
plain surrounds, all are large 18-pane sashes, and the glazing
bars of some at 1st floor may be original. Between the 1st and
2nd, and the 4th and 5th bays lead rainwater heads are mounted
below the moulded wooden gutter cornice. The roof is hipped.
INTERIOR: ground floor has an axial beam supported by 2
cast-iron columns (probably C19). Upper floor reached by
open-well staircase with closed string, turned balusters and
ramped handrail. The assembly room on 1st floor has a
musicians' gallery (probably by Gillow's) carried on 2 wooden
Tuscan columns, with a projecting centre supported by
brackets, and the front panels decorated with Chinese
Chippendale fretwork design; the walls have raised fielded
panelling, and a dentilled cornice to the coved ceiling. At
ground floor a doorway behind the staircase has an ex situ
lintel carved with initials and the date '1714'.


Listing NGR: SD4753261637

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD4761NE KING STREET
1685-1/7/151 (West side)
18/02/70 Assembly Rooms
(Formerly Listed as:
KING STREET
Assembly Rooms (now used as
Employment Exchange))

GV II

Assembly room, now antique market and dance studio. 1759,
enlarged and altered early and late C19. Possibly by Richard
Gillow. For the trustees of Penny's Hospital (qv). Coursed
dressed sandstone with quoins and ashlar dressings. Slate
roof. Originally L-shaped with a rear wing at the right to
house the staircase, but extended behind the main block in the
early C19, and again behind the left in the later C19.
2 tall storeys and 5 bays, almost symmetrical. The central
entrance has a semicircular Tuscan porch mounted on 3
semicircular steps, with 2 columns and semicolumns without
bases, and a doorway with plain surround. To the right, the
5th bay contains a tall doorway with a square overlight and
raised quoined surround, leading to the staircase to the
assembly room on the upper floor. The windows at ground floor
have matching surrounds, but those at 1st floor have raised
plain surrounds, all are large 18-pane sashes, and the glazing
bars of some at 1st floor may be original. Between the 1st and
2nd, and the 4th and 5th bays lead rainwater heads are mounted
below the moulded wooden gutter cornice. The roof is hipped.
INTERIOR: ground floor has an axial beam supported by 2
cast-iron columns (probably C19). Upper floor reached by
open-well staircase with closed string, turned balusters and
ramped handrail. The assembly room on 1st floor has a
musicians' gallery (probably by Gillow's) carried on 2 wooden
Tuscan columns, with a projecting centre supported by
brackets, and the front panels decorated with Chinese
Chippendale fretwork design; the walls have raised fielded
panelling, and a dentilled cornice to the coved ceiling. At
ground floor a doorway behind the staircase has an ex situ
lintel carved with initials and the date '1714'.


Listing NGR: SD4753261637

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.