History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, West Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4007 / 51°24'2"N

Longitude: -1.3262 / 1°19'34"W

OS Eastings: 446966

OS Northings: 167069

OS Grid: SU469670

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.1J1

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Y2Q1

Entry Name: 4, West Mills

Listing Date: 10 June 1969

Last Amended: 2 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395886

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

1. WEST MILLS
5127
No 4
(Formerly listed as
the Chantry)
SU 4667 SE 5/210 10.6.69

II GV


2.
Early C19 extension to No 3, but converted mid C19 (after 1849) to form a separate
double-fronted residence facing west. Two storeys. Three windows. Hipped slate
roof with projecting eaves. Stucco. Recessed sash window with glazing bars. Fine
late C18, Doric prostyle portico which originally formed the entrance to the former
White Hart Inn (No 24 Market Place, qv): Order with leaf decoration to necking of
caps, triglyph frieze and mutules with guttae. Square-headed doorway with
geometrical-patterned fanlight and ½ glazed door.
(Newbury Buildings, Past and Present (1973) 48).


Listing NGR: SU4696667069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. WEST MILLS
5127
No 4
(Formerly listed as
the Chantry)
SU 4667 SE 5/210 10.6.69

II GV


2.
Early C19 extension to No 3, but converted mid C19 (after 1849) to form a separate
double-fronted residence facing west. Two storeys. Three windows. Hipped slate
roof with projecting eaves. Stucco. Recessed sash window with glazing bars. Fine
late C18, Doric prostyle portico which originally formed the entrance to the former
White Hart Inn (No 24 Market Place, qv): Order with leaf decoration to necking of
caps, triglyph frieze and mutules with guttae. Square-headed doorway with
geometrical-patterned fanlight and ½ glazed door.
(Newbury Buildings, Past and Present (1973) 48).


Listing NGR: SU4696667069

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.