History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corn Stores

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4014 / 51°24'4"N

Longitude: -1.3216 / 1°19'17"W

OS Eastings: 447288

OS Northings: 167144

OS Grid: SU472671

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.2P9

Mapcode Global: VHCZK.11PJ

Entry Name: Corn Stores

Listing Date: 29 September 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396436

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

SU 4767 SW WHARF STREET


65/6/231 Numbers 1-8
(consecutive) Corn Stores
29.9.50
GV II*

Alternatively known as : OLD GRANARY,
Warehouse, now museum and shop. Circa late C17, altered circa 1935 and 1970. Red brick in Flemish bond with some vitrified headers and timber gallery on front. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: Long narrow single depth range of eight cells, each cell of two bays; and with continuous timber gallery at front with double flight of stairs at centre. Ground floor remodelled in 1930s when front wall of the ground floor was replaced by bay windows.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Long north front with C20 canted bay windows on the ground floor. Timber gallery cantilevered out on first floor with double flight of wooden stairs at centre; the main roof is carried down to form a canopy over the gallery and is supported on a series of cranked posts with wooden rails between, the rails in front of the first floor doorways removeable; the first floor doorways have plank doors, timber lintels and semi-circular relieving arches, their tympana pierced by extended tie-beams of the main roof which support the gallery roof. Some later inserted windows at rear. East end wall rebuilt or refaced in brick.
INTERIOR: Ground floor has unchamfered cross-beams jettied out at front to support gallery. Brick partition walls dividing range into eight bays, each bay with 2-bay roof with queen-post and collar trusses, the softwood tie-beams extending through front wall to support gallery roof purlin; tenoned purlins; common-rafter couples intact. The roof has been strengthened by later diagonal braces and intermediate collars.
NOTE: This warehouse is situated on the old wharf of the River Kennet, and it adjoins the Cloth Hall of 1626-7, which was built as a municipal cloth-weaving workshop to provide employment for the poor.

Listing NGR: SU4719867140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SU 4767 SW WHARF STREET


65/6/231 Numbers 1-8
(consecutive) Corn Stores
29.9.50
GV II*

Alternatively known as : OLD GRANARY,
Warehouse, now museum and shop. Circa late C17, altered circa 1935 and 1970. Red brick in Flemish bond with some vitrified headers and timber gallery on front. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: Long narrow single depth range of eight cells, each cell of two bays; and with continuous timber gallery at front with double flight of stairs at centre. Ground floor remodelled in 1930s when front wall of the ground floor was replaced by bay windows.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Long north front with C20 canted bay windows on the ground floor. Timber gallery cantilevered out on first floor with double flight of wooden stairs at centre; the main roof is carried down to form a canopy over the gallery and is supported on a series of cranked posts with wooden rails between, the rails in front of the first floor doorways removeable; the first floor doorways have plank doors, timber lintels and semi-circular relieving arches, their tympana pierced by extended tie-beams of the main roof which support the gallery roof. Some later inserted windows at rear. East end wall rebuilt or refaced in brick.
INTERIOR: Ground floor has unchamfered cross-beams jettied out at front to support gallery. Brick partition walls dividing range into eight bays, each bay with 2-bay roof with queen-post and collar trusses, the softwood tie-beams extending through front wall to support gallery roof purlin; tenoned purlins; common-rafter couples intact. The roof has been strengthened by later diagonal braces and intermediate collars.
NOTE: This warehouse is situated on the old wharf of the River Kennet, and it adjoins the Cloth Hall of 1626-7, which was built as a municipal cloth-weaving workshop to provide employment for the poor.

Listing NGR: SU4719867140

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.