History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rawlinson Memorial Approximately 13 Metres North of Tower of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0509 / 54°3'3"N

Longitude: -2.806 / 2°48'21"W

OS Eastings: 347330

OS Northings: 461960

OS Grid: SD473619

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.9M

Mapcode Global: WH846.WF0V

Entry Name: Rawlinson Memorial Approximately 13 Metres North of Tower of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212472

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383262

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW PRIORY CHURCHYARD
1685-1/6/229 Rawlinson Memorial, approximately 13
metres north of tower of Church of
St Mary

GV II

Monument. Late C18. Limestone ashlar with some marble details,
on sandstone base within cast-iron railings. Square on plan,
with 4 slightly tapering panels above the plinth, each of
which contains an oval marble plaque bearing inscriptions
which are now virtually indecipherable but which were recorded
by Roper. They included, on the south side, the names of Henry
Rawlinson (d.1786), MM and FE Hesketh (d.1793), Edward
Fleetwood Hesketh (d.1795), and Maria Hesketh (d.1801). On the
east side: Abraham Rawlinson (d.1829). On the north side:
William Lindow (d.1786) and Abigail Lindow (d.1791). On the
west side: Ellen Ainslie (d.1791). Above each face is a
triangular pediment, and the whole is capped with a marble urn
(now without its lid) standing on a scotia-moulded pedestal.
The monument stands on a square pavement of sandstone flags
laid within a sandstone border on which stand sharp-pointed
cast-iron railings with turned standards with urn finials.
(Chetham Society Transactions: Roper WO: Materials for the
History of the Church of Lancaster: Manchester: 1906-: 734).


Listing NGR: SD4733061960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.