History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Landguard Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Shanklin, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6385 / 50°38'18"N

Longitude: -1.1816 / 1°10'53"W

OS Eastings: 457965

OS Northings: 82411

OS Grid: SZ579824

Mapcode National: GBR 9DL.VFH

Mapcode Global: FRA 87DD.5GN

Plus Code: 9C2WJRQ9+C8

Entry Name: Landguard Manor

Listing Date: 8 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 397653

Location: Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Shanklin

Built-Up Area: Shanklin

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Shanklin St Paul, Gatten

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Shanklin

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

SHANKLIN
LANDGUARD MANOR
SZ58SE
ROAD
1352-0/4/10003 (East side)
Landguard Manor
II

Country house, later used as hotel. Circa mid C18, extended and remodelled in 1878 for
Colonel H. Atherley and again in 1906. Random stone rubble with freestone dressings; south
range has Flemish bond red brick front and ashlar gable ends; 1906 wing is of ashlar. Plain clay
tile roof with stone coped gable ends. Stone axial stacks with grouped diagonal shafts. PLAN:
The south garden front range is the C18 house with a central entrance. In 1878 the house was
greatly enlarged by a large Jacobethan style range on the north with its main entrance on the
east side and extensive service wings to the north. Remodelled in 1906 when the central
atrium-like hall and staircase were installed and a guest wing was built on the west side.
INTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical east front, gabled to left and right, the left the
C18 gable-end of the C18 range with blind windows and stone in gable inscribed H.A.1878,
two projecting gables on right and service wings beyond that, to right [north]; moulded stone
mullion-transom windows; doorway to left of centre with large ashlar porch in the form a
triumphal arch. C18 brick south front has platband and stone quoins; 2:1:2 bays, ground floor
4-pane sashes with flat arches, first floor 12-pane sashes with cambered arches, central doorway
now a 4-pane sash window. On west side the ashlar 1906 wing with symmetrical south front
with moulded stone cornice, arcaded loggia flanked by oculae and four sashes above with
nowy-headed tablet at centre inscribed H.A.E. AD 1906; gabled at rear. INTERIOR is largely
the result of the 1906 remodelling with much Neo-Georgian joinery; the principal feature, the
galleried atrium-like central hall with its two tiers of colonnades, Tuscan and above Composite
and a broad open-well staircase with a heavy balustrade. The two south rooms have circa early
C20 marble chimneypieces. Various carved wood chimneypieces, one in former billiard room
with overmantel flanked by twisted balusters, probably re-used from the staircase of the C18.
The 1906 wing has some bolection moulded joinery and an axial corridor on the first floor with
a plaster barrel vault. HISTORY: Landguard is mentioned in The Domesday Book. Queen
Victoria is reputed to have visited the Atherleys at Landguard, when she was staying at Osborne.


Listing NGR: SZ5796582411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.