This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4435 / 51°26'36"N
Longitude: -1.1038 / 1°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 462385
OS Northings: 171995
OS Grid: SU623719
Mapcode National: GBR B4B.HRB
Mapcode Global: VHCZ8.TZC8
Plus Code: 9C3WCVVW+CF
Entry Name: Church of St. Mark
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397731
Location: Englefield, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Englefield
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Englefield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SW
Church of St. Mark
Church. C13 south aisle, rebuilt and added to in a late C13 neo-Gothic style in 1857 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, tower and spire of 1868, and further restoration in 1874 and 1891. Flint with Bath stone dressings. Old tile roofs separately over nave and aisles with parapeted gable ends. North-west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, north chapel, south porch and north vestry.
Tower and spire: three stages with diagonal buttresses and string courses. Corbelling to stone broach spire with two-light gabled lucarnes on cardinal faces, smaller gabled lucarnes above, and weathervane. Large two-light bell stage openings with louvres, quatrefoil plate tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Two small lancets in second stage to north and two-light window beneath in first stage with hoodmould and carved stope. Narrow lancet in second stage to west and shafted cusped lancet in first stage beneath with hoodmould and carved stops. Newel turret to south-west with square first stage, circular second stage and conical tile roof. Boarded door to west with hoodmould and narrow lancets above and to south.
South aisle: west end: boarded door with moulded arch and hoodmould with carved stops, circular window with plate tracery in gable end above.
East end: triple stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould and carved stops. South side: two pairs of lancets flanking C13 south doorway with one order of shafts, uncut beakhead decoration and boarded door. C19 gabled porch with two orders of shafts, moulded arch and hoodmould with carved stops. Small cusped lancets to east and west, nook shafts at corners, and interior with three bay blank arcade and seats.
Chancel: cill string and angle buttresses to east. Two two-light windows to south with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and large three-light east window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould with carved stops. North side: two-light window with hoodmould and carved stops.
North chapel: square headed two-light east window and two square headed two light windows to north. Door with four centered moulded arch and returned hoodmould.
Nave: north side: two lancets. West end: three lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops, and circular window with plate tracery in gable end above.
Vestry: two square headed five-light windows to east, and door to north.
Interior: four bay south aisle arcade, three moulded arches to east with round piers, stiff leaf capitals and hoodmoulds with carved stops, C19 chamfered arch to west. C19 four-bay nave roof, reset north doorway, end shafted west windows. C19 four-bay south aisle roof, east lancets with Purbeck marble shafts and carved capitals, shafted south lancets, and squint to north-east. C19 chancel arch, shafted east window, C19 sedile to south and early C16 two-bay four-centred arched arcade to north.
Fittings include; C12 pillar piscina in north chapel, C15 wooden screen between chancel and north chapel, C19 reredos, C19 octagonal pulpit, C19 octagonal font, C13 font with trefoiled arcade, and curved C13 image bracket in south aisle to east.
Monuments include: circa 1500 chest tomb in chancel to Thomas Englefield with quatrefoil panels, vaulted canopy, and brasses to east, possibly also need as Easter sepulchre; tablet in north chapel to John Englefield of 1605 and three figure, with tablet to Milburg Alpress of 1803 with kneeling woman and child by urn; large tablet in nave to the Marquess of Winchester of 1675 with poem by Dryden, and Gothic tablet to Richard Benyon of 1854; two arched recesses in south aisle with effigies of knight and Lady, and Berniniesque tablet to Mrs. Benyon of 1777 by Thomas Carter consisting of two women attending to collapsing lady, drapery behind and open segmental pediment above on brackets with cartouche in tympanum. Other monuments.
Listing NGR: SU6238572002
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings