This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7028 / 50°42'10"N
Longitude: -2.7255 / 2°43'31"W
OS Eastings: 348864
OS Northings: 89493
OS Grid: SY488894
Mapcode National: GBR PQ.77X1
Mapcode Global: FRA 5757.4A4
Plus Code: 9C2VP73F+4R
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398538
Location: Burton Bradstock, Dorset, DT6
Civil Parish: Burton Bradstock
Built-Up Area: Burton Bradstock
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Burton Bradstock and Chilcombe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 4889 BURTON BRADSTOCK CHURCH STREET
8/74 Parish Church
5-9-60 St Mary
Parish Church. C14 nave, C15 crossing, transepts and central tower,
C16 chancel, south aisle of 1833, rebuilt by E S Prior in 1897.
C20 south-east vestry. Rubble-stone walls with stone dressings.
Slate roofs with stone gable-copings. Nave, windows to north, c.
early Cl6, of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a
square head, label and figured stops. Easternmost window, small
single light, C16. North porch, C15, entrance with moulded jambs
and a two-centred head. Central tower, of 3 stages, with an
embattled parapet and south-west stair-turret. Bell-openings, of
two transomed lights, with an unpierced quatrefoil over. Label and
head stops. North and south transepts, c.14OO, with diagonal
buttresses. North window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery
in a segmental pointed head. Shafted splays. South transept window
similar. Chancel, C16, with two 2-light windows in square heads
with labels, returned and stops. Priest's door at centre with
moulded jambs and pointed head. South wall of chancel, refaced.
South aisle of nave, under a pentice slate roof. 3 two-light windows
of C16 style. Door of c.1897 at east end. Interior: Nave of 4
bays, remains of Cl5 waggon-roof, particularly at east end. South
arcade, 1897 by Prior, piers of compressed section with low four-centred
arches. Shallow recess in nave north wall with ornately cusped head
(present position of pulpit). Crossing-piers, C15, have panelled
reveals and arch-soffits, each with a trefoiled head, in all main
directions. Chancel: blocked C16 south window, recess remains.
West splay of the eastern window has "two slots perhaps for fixing
the lentern veil" (RQIM). Transepts and chancel have waggon-roofed
ceilings. Fittings: Font: octagonal bowl with cinquefoiled, or
trefoil-headed panels, C14, cylindrical shaft with square moulded
base and spur ornaments, late C12. Piscinae: chancel, C13 with round
projecting drain and stone sheft. North transept, pillar-piscina
with moulded capping and base, Cl5. Small canopy with crocketed
ogee-heads. Monuments: North transept: moulded stone tablet with
two shields of arms to Major John Ironsyde, 1694, and Katherine
his wife, 1705. Stone wall tablet in frame with broken pediment,
cherub and emblems of mortality, to Elizabeth, wife of John Best,
RCHM Dorset I, p 57(1). F P Pitfield, Dorsal Parish Churches A-D,
Listing NGR: SY4886489493
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings