This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0522 / 51°3'8"N
Longitude: -3.848 / 3°50'52"W
OS Eastings: 270568
OS Northings: 129724
OS Grid: SS705297
Mapcode National: GBR L0.FYTS
Mapcode Global: FRA 26TB.QNZ
Entry Name: Nadrid Farmhouse and Adjoining Outbuilding
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214043
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398760
Location: North Molton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: North Molton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: North Molton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 NW
13/117 Nadrid Farmhouse and adjoining
Farmhouse. Probably early to mid-C17, possibly incorporating an earlier core.
Alterations and additions of c.1900, with further mid to late C20 alterations.
Coursed stone rubble to ground floor and rendered cob to first floor. Rendered to
sides and rear. Cob and some dressed stone in rear wall (visible from lean to).
Circa 1900 additions in roughly squared and coursed stone rubble with red-brick
dressings. Scantle-slate roof (formerly thatched over house), with C20 bitumen
covering to rear. C17 stone square stacks with weatherings, ridge stack rebuilt
shaft above roof in C19 brick; stone stack to rear of right-hand end with C19 brick
dressings and brick shaft.
Plan and development: Probable former 3 room and cross-passage plan (lower end to
right), facing north-west (site falls to left). Hall with axial stack backing onto
probable former cross passage to right with gabled porch c.1900, and former service
room beyond to right with integral lateral stack to rear. Former inner room to left
with integral end stack. Continuous lean-to at rear, probably an C18 addition.
Outbuilding of c.1900 adjoining to right. It is possible that the cross passage was
formerly at the left-hand end of the hall (see blocked doorway). Two storeys with
one-storey lean-to outshut at rear and outbuilding at right-hand end.
Exterior: Asymmetrical 4-window front; C19 and C20 two-light wooden casements, some
with small panes. Gabled stone porch of c.1900 off-centre to right, between second
and third windows, with C20 glazed door in right-hand return and c.1900 margin-light
casement to front with segmental brick head. Blocked doorway between first and
second windows from left. One-storey outbuilding adjoining to right with c.1900 two-
light small-paned wooden casement to right and boarded double doors to left, both
under segmental brick heads.
Interior only partly inspected. Left-hand ground-floor room has open fireplace with
C19 bracketed mantelshelf. Rest of interior not inspected.
A pre c.1900 photograph (copy kept by owner at time of survey - September 1987) shows
the farmhouse with a thatched roof, gabled porch to left in front of now-blocked
doorway, and range of thatched farmbuildings adjoining at right angles to front of
right-hand end with thatched horse-engine house projecting into farmyard (all
Listing NGR: SS7056829724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings