This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0538 / 51°3'13"N
Longitude: -3.8023 / 3°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 273777
OS Northings: 129814
OS Grid: SS737298
Mapcode National: GBR L2.FYC1
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XB.JHX
Entry Name: North Molton Methodist Church and Adjoining Church Hal
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398962
Location: North Molton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
Civil Parish: North Molton
Built-Up Area: North Molton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: North Molton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
NORTH MOLTON EAST STREET (south side),
18/144 North Molton Methodist Church and
- adjoining church hall
Methodist church and adjoining church hall. 1891. Tooled snecked dressed sandstone
(some almost of ashlar quality) with limestone ashlar dressings (not quoins).
Uncoursed rubble at rear, partly painted. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roofs, hipped over
apse (and to rear of hall), with pierced clay ridge cresting, scrolled at ends.
Gabled clay louvred ridge vents, that over crossing with 4 gables.
Plan: Church aligned approximately east-west, parallel with road. Two-bay nave to
east (liturgical west), gabled transepts (not projecting) and polygonal (7 sides)
apse to west (liturgical east). Church hall adjoining at south-east corner,
projecting to south. Lean-to porch to front (north), forming lobby to both church
and hall. Church in a Geometrical Gothic Revival style.
Exterior: Chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses with chamfered offsets, and raised
chamfered eaves and verges. Nave windows of 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights with
chamfered cills. North transept with flanking triple buttresses, chamfered circular
blind panels in verge at feet of gable and chamfered circular quatrefoil blind panel
in apex. Large plate-tracery window in chamfered 2-centred arch with 3 stepped
trefoil-headed lights, transom with trefoil heads to lower parts of lights, plate
tracery consisting of 2 chamfered trefoils flanking centre light, and chamfered cill.
South transept also has tall window of 3 stepped lights. Windows in canted corners
of apse consisting of 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights with chamfered cills. Left-
hand end (east) with circular panels in verge at feet of gable and quatrefoil
circular panel in apex. Rear of church has fewer architectural details than the
front. Church hall set back to left. Lean-to porch, with chamfered plinth. Three
bays; outer windows of 3 trefoil-headed low chamfered lights, with chamfered cills.
Central entrance with pair of C19 boarded doors, diamond-leaded overlight,
continuously-chamfered pointed arch with scroll stops, and gable above with chamfered
verge, scrolled at feet. Side entrance to hall (at rear of church) with boarded door
and 6-pane fixed window above with brick segmental head.
Interior: Entrance lobby with encaustic-tiled floor, two 6-panelled doors into hall
and two 6-panelled doors in church. Complete late C19 Methodist church interior.
Two-bay nave roof, consisting of chamfered arched-braced collar trusses springing
from carved stone corbels, king posts above collar with flanking Gothic arches, pairs
of purlins and wall plates. Plastered soffit. Intersecting chamfered arched-braced
collar trusses over crossing. Four chamfered arch-braced radial rafters springing
from carved stone corbels in apse. Windows with chamfered rear arches, segmental to
nave and apse. C19 benches in nave and around apse. Organ to east. Matchboarded
dado. Windows with diamond-leaded glazing.
Sources: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), p. 385.
Listing NGR: SS7377729814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings