History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grove House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.554 / 52°33'14"N

Longitude: -0.1305 / 0°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 526846

OS Northings: 296771

OS Grid: TL268967

Mapcode National: GBR J01.XGP

Mapcode Global: VHGKY.P2CF

Entry Name: Grove House

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401915

Location: Whittlesey, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Whittlesey

Built-Up Area: Whittlesey

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Whittlesey

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(South Side)

21/62 Grove House
11. 8.50


House. c1680. Rubblestone, later rendered, and dressed Ketton limestone to
quoins and door and window surrounds. Pyramidal roof, now cement tiled, with
C19 cast iron balustrade to original flat or walk, leaded, round central
stack of dressed limestone. The stack has an entablature and recessed panels
to each side. Fine moulded stone eaves cornice. Square plan with central
passage. Two storeys with moulded stone band between the storeys. Principal
front has range of five original ovolo mullion casement openings with C20
windows. Four similar windows on either side of central doorway with
original half round coved hood, on scroll brackets. Similar ovolo moulding
to doorcase terminating in ogee stops. The stone plinth is now rendered and
has a moulded upper edge. The East and West elevations retain original
fenestration and door openings but the South front has a renewed band and C20
hung sashes. Inside: there are two panelled rooms, one with bolection
moulded panels in three heights. Another has one wall with bolection moulded
and raised and fielded panels in two heights with dado and larger bolection
moulding to two internal doorway surrounds. The remaining panelling in this
room is later. There is a typical late C17 central passage and the East
doorway has the original half-glazed door with thick ovolo moulded glazing
bars. The two tier, butt purlin roof is late C17. A single flight attic
staircase to the balustraded walk or flat has original flat section balusters
and a newel with a similar flat section finial. The house is believed to
have been built as a hunting lodge for the Earl of Leicester.

Listing NGR: TL2684696771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.