History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horley, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0915 / 52°5'29"N

Longitude: -1.393 / 1°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 441682

OS Northings: 243857

OS Grid: SP416438

Mapcode National: GBR 7SC.W2Y

Mapcode Global: VHBYK.SPYJ

Plus Code: 9C4W3JR4+JQ

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401752

Location: Horley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Horley

Built-Up Area: Horley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Horley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Warmington

Description

HORLEY CHURCH LANE
SP4143 (East side)
23/97 Manor House
08/12/55
GV II

Manor house, now house. On the site of the Prebendal Manor House, C16/C17 with
remodelled east wing of c.1700 probably for Nathanial Austin. Ironstone ashiar
and squared coursed ironstone. Hipped and gabled slate and Stonesfield slate
roofs. Stone ridge and end stacks with blue brick shafts. L-plan. 2 storeys plus
attics, Entrance front. 5-window range. Central entrance has panelled-glazed
door and overlight with geometrically patterned glazing. Keyblock head and open
segmental pediment. Entrance is flanked by pairs of sashes with stone architrave
surrounds with keyblock stone heads. Flush wood-frames. 5 similar first floor
windows. 3 pedimented roof dormers. Moulded stone eaves cornice. Flat band to
first floor. Stone quoins. Elevation on left facing lane. 2 builds. 7-window
range altogether, 3- and 4-light stone mullioned windows have casements with
lead cames, crown glass, wrought-iron casement fasteners and springs. Most
windows have hood moulds and label stops. Rear. Entrance has original ledged and
battened door. Hood mould and diamond shaped label stops, that to right partly
obscured by later C17 wing. Chamfered stope piinth. 2- and 3-light stone
mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. Lead cames, crown glass,
wrought-iron casement fasteners and springs. Interior. C17 open-well staircase
and part of winder back staircase. Stone fireplaces with 4-centred heads, and a
bolection moulded fireplace. C17 and early C18 panelling, some bolection
moulded. Sash windows seats, panelled reveals, shutters with draw bars and
butterfly hinges. Cellar, John Austin bought the house from Richard Light in
1624. Later John Austin lived here. In 1741 Edward Metcalfe lived here. James
Stockton bought the house in 1892. A notable example of a C17 house with a
c.1700. Photographs in NMR.
(Buildings in England: 0xfordhsire; 1974, p653; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol X,
pp123-4; Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury
Region, 1963, p220; Macnamara, F.N., Memorials of the Darwers Family, 1895,
p409)


Listing NGR: SP4168243857

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.