History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bramshill Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Horley, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0909 / 52°5'27"N

Longitude: -1.3929 / 1°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 441687

OS Northings: 243793

OS Grid: SP416437

Mapcode National: GBR 7SC.W34

Mapcode Global: VHBYK.SPZY

Entry Name: Bramshill Manor

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 23 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401754

Location: Horley, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Horley

Built-Up Area: Horley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Horley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Warmington

Listing Text

SP 4143 HORLEY CHURCH LANE
(West side)
1720/23/99

08.12.1955 Bramshill Manor

GV II

Manor house, now farmhouse. c.1600 remodelled C20 and with C20 alterations. The southern remaining part only of a larger building which has been demolished, possibly followil1g a fire. Finely jointed ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched C20-tile roof Stone-coped gables with finials. Stone ridge and end stacks with brick stacks, some renewed. Complex plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 3-window range altogether. Entrance into left part has C20 angle porch with sloping slate roof C20 windows to left of door and fixed light to right. First floor has a 3-light ovolo moulded stone mullioned window with hood mould and label stop, a blocked squared headed window and a 3-light metal casement with wood lintel on right return. Gable-fronted part has a renewed ground floor window with wood lintel, a 3-light mullioned window to first floor and a 2-light similar attic window. Hood moulds and label stops. Projecting rectangular 1-window part on light has 4-light ovolo-moulded mullions to both ground and first floors. String courses, parapet and lead rainwater pipe with initials RTD, (Richard Thomson bought the manor in 1668). Right end has 2 blocked doorways at first floor level on outside wall. Doorway moved to left has plank door and wood lintel. Right doorway blocked. Rear has 3- and 5-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. Raking roofed outshut. Interior noted as having good C16 moulded ceiling beams, early C17 panelling and C18 staircase.
Occupied by the Danvers family in the C17, then by Richard Thomson from 1668 unti11718 when he sold the house to Sir John Cope.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p655; :VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p124)


Listing NGR: SP4168743793

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.