This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9867 / 50°59'12"N
Longitude: 0.6068 / 0°36'24"E
OS Eastings: 583057
OS Northings: 124048
OS Grid: TQ830240
Mapcode National: GBR QX4.46Y
Mapcode Global: FRA D65H.L7J
Entry Name: Brickwall
Listing Date: 3 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411871
Location: Northiam, Rother, East Sussex, TN31
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Northiam
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Northiam St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 8224-8324 NORTHIAM RYE ROAD
Large irregular-shaped house of various periods. The main front facing North
East was built by William White in the early C17, but it contains some older
work inside. It is a timber-framed building, partly close-studded and partly
painted in imitation of this, on a red brick base. Three storeys. Nine windows.
Three gables overhanging on carved bressummers and brackets with carved bargeboards
and finials. The right one has the date 1617 and the initials W M W (William
and Mary White) and the centre one the date 1633. Tiled roof. Ornamental mid-
C19 red brick chimney stacks. Casement windows with wooden mullions and transoms.
C18 doorway with pilasters and shell hood. Bay above it of two tiers of 6-lights.
On each side of the doorway is a similar bay but of two storeys with a small
3-light window flanking it. The rainwater-head has the date 1835 and the initials
T F T (Thomas Frewen Turner). On the South East wall is a red brick chimney
breast dated 1842. To the North East is a curved wing on ground floor only dated
1845. These alterations and additions were probably made by Sydney Smirke.
The South East wing in imitation timbering was added by Thomas Frewen in 1873.
The interior contains early C17 panelling, elaborate late C17 or early C18 plaster
ceilings and a staircase of same date. The house was bought in 1666 by Stephen
Frewen, fourth son of the Rev John Frewen, the founder of the Frewen dynasty
in Northiam and was occupied by the Frewen family until the C20. It is now a
Listing NGR: TQ8305724048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings