This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7839 / 50°47'1"N
Longitude: -1.9547 / 1°57'16"W
OS Eastings: 403288
OS Northings: 98257
OS Grid: SZ032982
Mapcode National: GBR 435.QMQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 67S0.Q97
Plus Code: 9C2WQ2MW+H4
Entry Name: Court House, Canford School
Listing Date: 30 June 1980
Last Amended: 13 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412432
Location: Bearwood and Merley, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH21
Built-Up Area: Merley
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Canford Magna
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SZ0398 CANFORD MAGNA, Canford Magna
958-1/9/220 (East side)
30/06/80 Court House, Canford School
(Formerly Listed as:
House. Late C17, N wing rebuilt late C19-early C20 to match
existing, linking section added 1914. Brick with Ham Hill
dressings and diaper pattern glazed headers, to both C17 and
C19 wings, moulded gable stacks with a cross-gabled tiled
Single-depth 3-room plan C17 range with 2 SW cross gables, SW
range with cross gables, and 1914 central linking section in
2 storeys; 2-window C17 range, 1:2-window right-hand section.
Coped C17 gable has a moulded plinth, irregular quoins,
voussoirs and dressings, a right-hand doorway inserted into
former window has a C20 door, and paired windows with thin
stone mullions to chamfered C17 architraves, 1 with
plate-glass casements to the ground floor and 2 above with
plate-glass sashes, with two 2/2-pane attic sashes.
Left-hand 3-window return has late C19-early C20 sashes in
enlarged rendered openings, the entrance to the centre from a
mid C20 block (not included). C19 ranges have cross gables
with gable stacks and a regular pattern of diaper brickwork,
similar mullion windows to the C17 gable, with a gabled half
dormer in the central front section which has rainwater
hoppers dated 1914.
INTERIOR altered in C20 remodelling, with an entrance hall
with C20 stair with stick balusters.
Only the NE wing survives from a larger building of the C17,
distinguished by an early use of brickwork for the area.
(RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 240).
Listing NGR: SZ0328898257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings