This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5415 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9191 / 1°55'8"W
OS Eastings: 405328
OS Northings: 516246
OS Grid: NZ053162
Mapcode National: GBR HH1X.9S
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.H3BS
Entry Name: Spring Grove
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388775
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/6/145 (North side)
22/02/73 Nos.64 AND 66
Formerly known as: The Parsonage House NEWGATE.
Pair of houses. c1870 pair of houses incorporating C18 house
at one time vicarage. Coursed squared stone with older coursed
squared rubble at left and on first 2 floors and brick rear
right return, with ashlar dressings; roof of graduated
Lakeland slates with stone gable copings and chimneys.
2 storeys and attic, 4-window range and lower 2-storey,
2-window, rear wing on right return. Some Gothic Revival style
detail. Steps up to renewed glazed door and shaped overlight
in chamfered surround with quoined jambs and 2-centred-arched
head under hoodmould. Corniced canted bay windows in outer
ground-floor bays have plain sashes. Similar sashes in paired
windows to right of door and above canted bays, and single
windows in central first floor, all with broach-stopped
chamfers to stone surrounds. Plain stone surrounds to sashes
in hipped dormers breaking eaves in first, third and fourth
bays. Steeply pitched roof has corniced ridge chimneys.
Right return shows 2 plain sashes on each floor and attics of
front range; to right, gabled Gothic entrance to No.66,
3-light stone-mullioned window in one-story range with
set-back first floor of older brick. This has inserted C20
door flanked by 4-pane sashes in plain stone surrounds, and
INTERIOR: No.66 has entrance hall with geometric floor tiles
and Frosterley `marble' shelf; marble chimney piece to
HISTORY: shown as the Parsonage House in 1827, this was the
vicarage to the Church of St Mary (qv), before the building of
the present Vicarage (qv) on the south side of Newgate,
(John Wood: Map of Barnard Castle: Barnard Castle: 1827-).
Listing NGR: NZ0532816246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings