History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Machine Shop

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4463 / 51°26'46"N

Longitude: -2.6173 / 2°37'2"W

OS Eastings: 357194

OS Northings: 172108

OS Grid: ST571721

Mapcode National: GBR C3N.2C

Mapcode Global: VH88M.LX53

Entry Name: Machine Shop

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380747

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1314 (South side)
Machine shop

GV II*

Machine shop. c1885. Extended early C20. Brick with a tiled
double-pile hipped roof. Open plan. Single storey, with a
2-storey; 2-window C20 extension. A plain shed with corbelled
eaves, sliding doors at each end, with a hipped C20 office
extension along the left-hand end with a 7-window-range return
elevation of metal casements. An octagonal chimney attached to
the right-hand return.
INTERIOR: comprises boiler and engine houses, blacksmith's and
engineer's shops. Much original machinery survives, including
steam-powered plant from the mid 1880's, for planing,
slotting, punching-and-shearing, a long-bed lathe and steam
hammer, wall-mounted line shafting and a Tangye horizontal
engine and Cornish boiler.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built on land reclaimed behind Jessops' 1809
Floating Harbour dam, and named after Brunel's Under Fall
culvert of 1832 for removing silt into the New Cut. '..nowhere
else is the essential character of the dock landcape preserved
so completely' (Lord and Southam).
(BIAS Journal: Bristol: 1968-: 20; Lord J and Southam J: The
Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 66).


Listing NGR: ST5719472108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRISTOL

ST5772 UNDERFALL YARD, Floating Harbour
901-1/41/1314 (South side)
Machine shop

GV II*

Machine shop. c1885. Extended early C20. Brick with a tiled
double-pile hipped roof. Open plan. Single storey, with a
2-storey; 2-window C20 extension. A plain shed with corbelled
eaves, sliding doors at each end, with a hipped C20 office
extension along the left-hand end with a 7-window-range return
elevation of metal casements. An octagonal chimney attached to
the right-hand return.
INTERIOR: comprises boiler and engine houses, blacksmith's and
engineer's shops. Much original machinery survives, including
steam-powered plant from the mid 1880's, for planing,
slotting, punching-and-shearing, a long-bed lathe and steam
hammer, wall-mounted line shafting and a Tangye horizontal
engine and Cornish boiler.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built on land reclaimed behind Jessops' 1809
Floating Harbour dam, and named after Brunel's Under Fall
culvert of 1832 for removing silt into the New Cut. '..nowhere
else is the essential character of the dock landcape preserved
so completely' (Lord and Southam).
(BIAS Journal: Bristol: 1968-: 20; Lord J and Southam J: The
Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 66).


Listing NGR: ST5719472108

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.