This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3896 / 53°23'22"N
Longitude: -3.0115 / 3°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 332829
OS Northings: 388559
OS Grid: SJ328885
Mapcode National: GBR 7YD7.TN
Mapcode Global: WH87D.Q259
Entry Name: Chapter House Chapel at Birkenhead Priory
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Last Amended: 10 August 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389300
Location: Wirral, CH41
Electoral Ward/Division: Birkenhead and Tranmere
Built-Up Area: Birkenhead
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Birkenhead Christ the King
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ3288NE PRIORY STREET
789-1/14/139 (East side)
29/07/50 Chapter House chapel at Birkenhead
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY'S GATE
Priory Chapel with room above)
Former chapter house of Birkenhead Priory with possible
scriptorium over, latterly in use as a chapel. Late C12.
Coursed and squared stonework with Westmorland green slate
roof. 2-storeyed, 2 bays in length. West front on to former
cloister with central door and flanking windows forming a
series of 3 round-headed arches. Gable apex and window above
restored, 1913-1919. Two small windows in south elevation,
that to east C12 though restored. Upper storey also
extensively restored or rebuilt, with gathered chimney
corbelled out, and large dormer in roof. Smaller half-dormer
to right of chimney. Inserted C15 window in north wall, and a
5-light C15 window in east wall. Inside, the chapter house has
two bays of quadripartite vaulting carried on clustered shafts
with trumpet corbels. The shafts have been cut to take a
screen which no longer exists. Stained glass in east window by
Ninian Comper, depicting figures of saints, the founder of the
priory etc. The window is dedicated to Robert Marsden who was
a member of the committee in charge of the restoration of the
building in 1913-1919. Stained glass depicting the adoration
of the magi in the north window. The scriptorium above was
restored in 1913-19 when a new roof with decorative panelling
was added. The chapter house was in use as a church from the
reformation until the building of the adjacent St Mary's
church in 1821 (q.v.). Its restoration was carried out by
Edmund Kirby under the direction of a committee of leading
citizens in 1913-1919.
The monastic infirmary adjoined the chapter house to the
north, and traces of its west wall still survive. On the west,
it connected with the priory church, and the truncated north
wall of the church is still visible where it adjoined the
chapter house. See also Remains of Birkenhead Priory.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Listing NGR: SJ3282888557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings