This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6797 / 52°40'46"N
Longitude: -1.8334 / 1°50'0"W
OS Eastings: 411360
OS Northings: 309121
OS Grid: SK113091
Mapcode National: GBR 3C9.Z6C
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.TX42
Entry Name: Clock Tower
Listing Date: 6 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382799
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1109SW THE FRIARY
1094-1/7/231 (South side)
06/03/70 Clock Tower
Clock tower. 1863, moved to present site 1928. By Joseph
Potter Jnr. Ashlar with swept slate roof.
4-stage tower with pyramidal roof. Norman style.
Lowest stage has cornice with zig-zag and weathering over;
east face has round-headed entrance of one order with zig-zag
to arch and enriched tympanum, door with enriched strap
hinges; plaque above records history of the Crucifix conduit,
1201-1863; to south a bronze plaque recording gift of the
Friary estate to the City Council; to west a plaque recording
the removal of the tower from its orginal site; to north a
quatrefoil panel recording foundation of the conduit with
flanking round-headed niches formerly with drinking fountains,
that to left with scalloped bowl, that to right shallower,
bowl gone, 2 round-headed lights above with grilles.
2nd stage has cornice with weathering over; to 3 faces a
3-light blind window with colonnettes, enriched arches and
glazed slits; similar shorter 5-light window above with
zig-zag sill band and 2 slits; to west face 3 single-chamfered
3rd stage has round clock face to each face. Top stage has
nook shafts and corbel table, bell-opening of 4 lights with
lourvres to each face. Roof with finial.
The clock tower was built at the corner of The Friary and Bird
Street on the site of the Crucifix Conduit, which was built
for the city c1201 by the Guild of SS Mary and John the
Baptist, whose assets were transferred in 1545 to the Conduits
Lands Trust, who built the tower over the redundant conduit.
The tower was dismantled and rebuilt on its present site when
The Friary was made.
The clock tower is a notable landmark in the city.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.192; Laithwaite P: The History of the Conduit Lands
Trust 1546-1946: Lichfield: 1947-: P.19, 51; Clayton H:
Cathedral City: Lichfield: 1977-: P.105-7).
Listing NGR: SK1136009121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings