History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newgate Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Up Holland, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5415 / 53°32'29"N

Longitude: -2.7424 / 2°44'32"W

OS Eastings: 350898

OS Northings: 405238

OS Grid: SD508052

Mapcode National: GBR 9W9H.26

Mapcode Global: WH86R.V78W

Entry Name: Newgate Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 11 August 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1219813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388999

Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Up Holland

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text


UP HOLLAND

SD5005 DENHOLME
783-1/6/35 (South side)
07/01/52 Newgate Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND
ORMSKIRK ROAD
Newgate Farmhouse)

II*

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1707 on porch (but may be
earlier), enlarged and altered. Coursed thin sandstone rubble
with quoins, re-constituted stone tile roof.
Irregular half-H plan formed by a one-bay baffle-entry main
range with a porch to the left and a wing to the rear, and a
projecting cross-wing to the right; plus an addition in the
rear angle. Two storeys and attic, 1:1:1 windows; with a
chamfered plinth and plain 1st-floor band. The 2-storey gabled
porch has a round-headed doorway with ovolo-moulded jambs and
head, moulded imposts, and a studded inner door with strap
hinges; a large square datestone over the outer doorway with a
stepped surround to a carved plaque which has raised
lettering: R/W S/1707; a 3-light window at 1st floor with
chamfered flush mullions, and a small oculus in the apex with
rope surround, both these openings with wedge-shaped bands
over them. The housepart to the right has a 5-light mullioned
window on each floor.
The wing to the right has a blocked 2-light mullioned window
on each floor of the re-entrant side, and its gable wall has a
5-light mullioned window on each floor, a round-headed
one-light window to the attic, and a corner chimney to the
right. The left gable wall of the main range has a 2-light
firewindow towards the rear, a simple hoodmould over this
continued into the rear wing where it is interrupted by the
lower of 2 altered windows. The rear gable of this wing has a
doorway with plain surround, and one 3-light casement window.
INTERIOR: housepart has wide inglenook with large chamfered
bressumer, and large lateral beam with unstopped chamfer;
doglegged staircase to rear of 2nd bay, with moulded string,
square newels, stout turned balusters and broad moulded
handrail; large forked beam in rear service room next to
staircase.
HISTORY: the plan of this house closely resembles that of
No.178 Ormskirk Road (qv), approx 200m west.


Listing NGR: SD5089805238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.