This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5569 / 53°33'24"N
Longitude: -2.7221 / 2°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 352264
OS Northings: 406937
OS Grid: SD522069
Mapcode National: GBR 9WF9.GP
Mapcode Global: WH86L.5V1L
Entry Name: Johnson's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389005
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50NW LAFFORD LANE
783-1/2/41 (East side)
07/01/52 Johnson's Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1647 on gable of south wing, but the main
range may be late medieval/earlier C16 in origin; altered.
Cream-painted roughcast render probably on sandstone rubble,
composition tile roof.
H-plan: one-bay hall-range with north and south crosswings,
the latter incorporating an integral porch. Single-storey hall
and 2-storey wings, 1:1:2 windows.
The south wing has the porch in its left side with a
Tudor-arched outer doorway and a studded inner door with strap
hinges, above the doorway a square datestone with chamfered
surround and raised lettering: N/ IE/ 1647, and mullioned
windows of 4 lights at ground floor, and 2 and 4 lights at 1st
floor, both the larger windows lacking the central mullion,
those at 1st floor more deeply recessed and with
double-chamfered heads, all with rendered mullions, a
hoodmould over that at ground floor and a similar hoodmould
over both at 1st floor.
To the left the low hall-range has a modern 3-light casement
window; the north wing has an altered 3-light window at ground
floor, and a formerly 4-light double-chamfered mullioned
window at 1st floor now lacking the 1st and 3rd mullions, with
a hoodmould. Ridge chimney in line with porch. The right-hand
return wall of the south wing has mullioned windows of 1 and 5
lights with hoodmoulds; the rear has various small casement
INTERIOR: some features of the hall range suggest that it may
have originated as a late medieval open hall, perhaps aisled:
it is very wide, and at the north end there are 2 posts, that
on the east side roll-moulded (like a spere-post), the other
plain but based on the stub of a timber sill mounted on a
stone plinth; and between them a shallow sloped studded cove
or canopy, suggesting either a former spere truss or a dais;
at opposite end a very large inglenook with moulded stone heck
and straight timber bressumer with similar coving above it;
and ceiling carried on large spine beam with pair of secondary
lateral beams; in roof space of hall-range, remains of
fire-hood above the inglenook, but no continuation of the
possible spere-posts at the lower end.
HISTORY: probably originally a timber-framed open-hall
(perhaps aisled), cased in stone and a ceiling inserted when
the south wing was built in 1647; north wing added in later
C17 (probably replacing north end of hall-range); occupied in
1650s by John Naylor, yeoman, and his wife Ellen.
Forms a group with barn approx 10 metres south-east (qv) and
with pair of cottages on opposite (west) side of lane (qv).
(Private Report and Survey: Miller G: 1987-).
Listing NGR: SD5226406937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings