This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.541 / 53°32'27"N
Longitude: -2.7209 / 2°43'15"W
OS Eastings: 352323
OS Northings: 405164
OS Grid: SD523051
Mapcode National: GBR 9WFH.QD
Mapcode Global: WH86S.58L8
Plus Code: 9C5VG7RH+9J
Entry Name: Derby House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389068
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD5205 SCHOOL LANE
783-1/7/77 (South side)
Formerly known as: Old Manor Court House SCHOOL LANE
House, or wing of former house. Dated 1633 at 1st floor;
altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof,
2-unit plan at right-angles to street. 2 storeys with basement
and attic, a gabled one-window facade, with a high chamfered
plinth, and a moulded dripband over the ground floor.
The centre of the basement steps up over the top half of a
blocked square-headed doorway with chamfered reveal and
Tudor-arched lintel, to the left is a small chamfered blocked
opening, and to the right an inserted doorway with C20 door;
the ground floor has an inserted vertical-rectangular window
(with C20 glazing) in the remains of a blocked mullioned
window, probably formerly similar to the window at 1st floor,
which has 6 lights with a chamfered reveal, ovolo-moulded
mullions and a moulded hoodmould; and at attic level is a
blocked 2-light double chamfered mullioned window.
On the centre of the dripband is a stone plaque carved with
the Stanley crest of eagle-and-child, and the date "1633".
The right-hand return wall is mostly covered by an adjoining
building, but part of blocked 2-light mullioned windows are
exposed on both floors.
The rear gable wall has a 5-light mullioned window at 1st
floor (like that at the front), a stone plaque above this with
the Legs-of-Man, the initials "ILS" in the top left corner,
"1633" in the top right-hand corner, and initials in the lower
corners "RC" and "IC"; an attic window like that at the front,
and in the apex a square stone with an egg-shaped recess.
INTERIOR: 4 stop-chamfered lateral beams on each floor;
partition which is probably timber-framed; principal rafter
roof truss with angle braces and wind-braces to the purlins.
HISTORY: said to have been used as gaol.
Listing NGR: SD5232305162
Other nearby listed buildings