History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn Approximately 15 Metres South of Wood House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Burscough, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6063 / 53°36'22"N

Longitude: -2.8623 / 2°51'44"W

OS Eastings: 343041

OS Northings: 412536

OS Grid: SD430125

Mapcode National: GBR 8VGQ.3Z

Mapcode Global: WH86B.0M96

Entry Name: Barn Approximately 15 Metres South of Wood House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386271

Location: Burscough, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Burscough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Burscough

Listing Text


BURSCOUGH

SD41SW NEW LANE
663-1/2/31 (East side (off))
Barn approx. 15m S of Wood House
Farmhouse

GV II

Barn and stable. Dated 1701 at 1st floor of stable. Coursed
sandstone rubble and handmade brown brick in English garden
wall bond (5+1), stone slate roof. Five bays on north-south
axis, the stable occupying the 2 bays at the north end. Walls
of stone up to approx. one third height and brick above, with
S-tie plate to stable; waggon entrance offset slightly left of
centre (now furnished with sliding doors), doorway at left end
and square loading door above this; 2 diamond-pattern
breathers to right of waggon entrance; large doorway to
stable, with 4-pane overlight and rectangular lintel, square
2-light window above, one square window on each floor to the
left; and, to the right of the upper of these, a shouldered
datestone lettered:
R
TCVK
1701
Ventilator of roof of stable. Steps up to loft doorway in
right-hand gable wall; small extension attached to rear of
steps.
INTERIOR: 2 original collar trusses with angle-braces and
windbraces. Forms group with Wood House Farmhouse approx. 15m
north.


Listing NGR: SD4304112536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BURSCOUGH

SD41SW NEW LANE
663-1/2/31 (East side (off))
Barn approx. 15m S of Wood House
Farmhouse

GV II

Barn and stable. Dated 1701 at 1st floor of stable. Coursed
sandstone rubble and handmade brown brick in English garden
wall bond (5+1), stone slate roof. Five bays on north-south
axis, the stable occupying the 2 bays at the north end. Walls
of stone up to approx. one third height and brick above, with
S-tie plate to stable; waggon entrance offset slightly left of
centre (now furnished with sliding doors), doorway at left end
and square loading door above this; 2 diamond-pattern
breathers to right of waggon entrance; large doorway to
stable, with 4-pane overlight and rectangular lintel, square
2-light window above, one square window on each floor to the
left; and, to the right of the upper of these, a shouldered
datestone lettered:
R
TCVK
1701
Ventilator of roof of stable. Steps up to loft doorway in
right-hand gable wall; small extension attached to rear of
steps.
INTERIOR: 2 original collar trusses with angle-braces and
windbraces. Forms group with Wood House Farmhouse approx. 15m
north.


Listing NGR: SD4304112536

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.