This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5998 / 53°35'59"N
Longitude: -2.8444 / 2°50'39"W
OS Eastings: 344217
OS Northings: 411800
OS Grid: SD442118
Mapcode National: GBR 8VKT.Z9
Mapcode Global: WH86B.8SS6
Entry Name: Lathom and Burscough War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438967
Location: Burscough, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Burscough
Built-Up Area: Burscough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
First World War memorial, unveiled on 20 August 1922, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a 3m high wheel-head cross decorated with Celtic-style knotwork designs around a central boss. It is set upon a tapering, decorated oblong shaft similarly decorated with carved knotwork, which is set upon a tapering, rough-hewn plinth. This stands on an octagonal base of five steps – each inscribed (on the northern side) with an ascending year of the First World War. The total height of the memorial is approximately 5m.
The northern face of the plinth bears an incised painted lead letter inscription LATHOM AND BURSCOUGH / "IS IT NOTHING TO YOU, ALL YE THAT PASS BY." / THIS CROSS IS RAISED IN / GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / OUR LOCAL MEN / WHO DIED IN DEFENCE OF / THEIR COUNTRY, HONOUR AND FREEDOM / DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919. / AND OF THE 2ND GREAT WAR 1939 – 1945. / "THEY NOTHING COMMON DID, OR MEAN / UPON THAT MEMORABLE SCENE."
All other faces of both the plinth and shaft list the names of local men killed in both World Wars.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Burscough as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was erected in 1921 and dedicated on the 20 August 1922 at a ceremony attended by Edwin Baldwin, a local, decorated military officer and Henry Tyler, a local businessman.
The contract for the memorial was carried out by James Whittle, contractor, of Ormskirk. The granite steps and cross were supplied by Samuel Welsby, sculptor, of Liverpool and Widnes, and the architect in charge of the work was C Brighouse of Ormskirk.
Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that conflict were also added.
The memorial was originally surrounded by a path which can be seen on the 1928 map but this design was modified after the Second World War and memorial gardens were laid out by 1955.
Lathom and Burscough War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking memorial cross with carved Celtic-style decorative details and an elegant five-stepped inscribed base.
Other nearby listed buildings