History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burscough, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6046 / 53°36'16"N

Longitude: -2.8402 / 2°50'24"W

OS Eastings: 344499

OS Northings: 412328

OS Grid: SD444123

Mapcode National: GBR 8VLR.WL

Mapcode Global: WH86B.BNRJ

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 11 August 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386251

Location: Burscough, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Burscough

Built-Up Area: Burscough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Rufford

Listing Text


BURSCOUGH

SD41SW LIVERPOOL ROAD NORTH
663-1/2/7 (East side)
11/08/72 Church of St John

II*

Church. 1829-32, by Daniel Stewart, for Church Commissioners;
altered internally 1857; restored and chancel added 1887-9 by
Waddington & Sons of Burnley; vestry added in C20. Sandstone
ashlar, slate roof. Gothick style. Nave with added chancel and
vestry added to south side of this. The gabled 3-bay west
facade has 4 polygonal buttresses finished as embattled
turrets, and a square bellcote on the apex with gableted sides
and an ogival top with a crocketted pinnacle; a 2-centred
arched west doorway with 2 orders of moulding, double doors
with Gothick tracery, and a hoodmould with carved stops; a
blind 3-light window above the doorway and tall 2-light blind
windows in the outer bays. The 5-bay side walls have
buttresses and tall 2-centred arched 2-light windows with
deeply splayed reveals, tracery in the heads, hoodmoulds, and
C20 glazing. The chancel has corner turrets, coupled 2-light
windows in the sides and a 5-light east window. INTERIOR not
inspected, but contains 3-sided galleries (inserted in 1857).


Listing NGR: SD4449912328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BURSCOUGH

SD41SW LIVERPOOL ROAD NORTH
663-1/2/7 (East side)
11/08/72 Church of St John

II*

Church. 1829-32, by Daniel Stewart, for Church Commissioners;
altered internally 1857; restored and chancel added 1887-9 by
Waddington & Sons of Burnley; vestry added in C20. Sandstone
ashlar, slate roof. Gothick style. Nave with added chancel and
vestry added to south side of this. The gabled 3-bay west
facade has 4 polygonal buttresses finished as embattled
turrets, and a square bellcote on the apex with gableted sides
and an ogival top with a crocketted pinnacle; a 2-centred
arched west doorway with 2 orders of moulding, double doors
with Gothick tracery, and a hoodmould with carved stops; a
blind 3-light window above the doorway and tall 2-light blind
windows in the outer bays. The 5-bay side walls have
buttresses and tall 2-centred arched 2-light windows with
deeply splayed reveals, tracery in the heads, hoodmoulds, and
C20 glazing. The chancel has corner turrets, coupled 2-light
windows in the sides and a 5-light east window. INTERIOR not
inspected, but contains 3-sided galleries (inserted in 1857).


Listing NGR: SD4449912328

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.