This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1347 / 54°8'4"N
Longitude: -0.7983 / 0°47'53"W
OS Eastings: 478615
OS Northings: 471648
OS Grid: SE786716
Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.ZL
Mapcode Global: WHFBG.QB2M
Entry Name: Former Palace Cinema and Cinema Shop
Listing Date: 10 June 1974
Last Amended: 10 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389600
Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Malton
Built-Up Area: Malton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
10-JUN-74 (North side)
FORMER PALACE CINEMA AND CINEMA SHOP
(Formerly listed as:
THE LANES SHOPPING MALL)
(Formerly listed as:
Exchange Cinema and theatre, incorporating front of former Corn Exchange; then Palace Cinema; now shopping mall and cinema. 1845, converted c1910, enlarged 1933. Cinema enlargement by James Brodie of Pudsey, for Mr P Read.
EXTERIOR: Former Corn Exchange front of painted vertically tooled stone and ashlar; left return incorporates sections of coursed hammer-dressed stone; remainder of building in red brick in nglish bond. Roofs are tiled; hipped and half-hipped of corrugated asbestos; and pantile with coped gables and kneelers. 2-storey 5-bay entrance front, to left of 2-storey 3-window cinema shop front. Entrance front is tetrastyle portico of attached Giant Order Corinthian pilasters with moulded modillion cornice and pediment, flanked by blind bays. Inner pilasters truncated on ground floor by later insertion of splayed opening with 2 pairs of bevelled-glass doors and canopy. 3 metal-framed first-floor windows with coloured glass depicting dancing figures in pastoral setting. Cinema shop is double fronted, with recessed bevelled-glass door between half-canted plate-glass windows with blind transom lights. Abstract patterned mosaic floor in doorway, and panel of zigzag coloured glass above. First-floor windows are 2-light mullioned casements with coloured glazing in abstract pastoral motifs. Surrounds and mullions are chamfered ashlar.
INTERIOR: Abstract patterned mosaic floors retained in entrance foyer, and in balcony foyer at rear of building. Balcony foyer has coloured glass overlight, depicting Pan. Other fittings retained to facilitate the future reconversion of the building to a cinema, including balcony staircases and ramp, and proscenium arch and stage. Corniced ceiling with ornate cast-iron ventilation grilles. Present cinema formed of original balcony and projection rooms.
Brodie J: Architect's drawings for cinema enlargement: 1933 -
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings