This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6557 / 51°39'20"N
Longitude: -2.3732 / 2°22'23"W
OS Eastings: 374280
OS Northings: 195273
OS Grid: ST742952
Mapcode National: GBR 0M6.0V2
Mapcode Global: VH957.TN84
Entry Name: Millmans Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Last Amended: 1 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394672
Location: North Nibley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12
Civil Parish: North Nibley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: North Nibley St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
NORTH NIBLEY B4060
Millmans Farmhouse (previously
listed as Millman's Southend
23.6.52 Farmhouse with Barn and Dovecot)
Detached farmhouse. Late C16; extension dated 1660; early C19
alterations. Roughcast rendered front, painted marlstone rubble
elsewhere; brick chimneys; plain tile roof. Two-storey with
attic. Wing at north end; central stair wing to rear. Front:
blank gable end of north wing projects forward to right with small
flat-roofed projection in angle with main range containing spiral
staircase, probably formerly with small gable. Main range to left
has 3-window 20-pane sash fenestration; central doorway with flat
timber porch hood on brackets and 6-panel door. Two cellar
casements to left of door. North end: central single timber
mullioned casement to each floor with timber lintel; 5-light to
ground floor and 4-light above. South end: gable end with off-
centre blocked ground floor window with hoodmould has datestone
1660 possibly reset from elsewhere on building and now partially
obscured by attached conservatory. Off-centre blocked upper floor
window with hoodmould; ridge-mounted brick chimney. Rear: gable
end of staircase wing with many blocked windows having hoodmoulds.
Row of 3 former window openings at upper floor level, central
having C19 casement. Central doorway to wing with 4-panel door.
Projecting chimney stack on north side of wing. Two gables to
elevation of main range to left each with single-window casement
fenestration, altered on ground floor with C19 and C20 lean-to
additions. Right gable has leaded attic casement with hoodmould
and further hoodmould to opening below, now blocked by lean-to.
Range to right of staircase wing has single ground floor C19
casement with hoodmould.
Interior: mostly indicates late C16 origin. Elizabethan dog-leg
staircase with polygonal finials to newels and splat balusters
rises to attic level. Room at south end appears to be addition,
possibly of 1660. Indications of former spiral staircase within
turret on east front. Said to have been house of William Archard,
clerk to John Smyth in about 1600, Smyth being surveyor to the
Lords of Berkeley. Dovecote stands to north-west (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST7428095273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings