This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6589 / 51°39'31"N
Longitude: -2.3726 / 2°22'21"W
OS Eastings: 374321
OS Northings: 195628
OS Grid: ST743956
Mapcode National: GBR 0M0.T4V
Mapcode Global: VH957.TKKP
Entry Name: Tyndale Monument with Railed Surround
Listing Date: 13 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394627
Location: North Nibley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Civil Parish: North Nibley
Built-Up Area: North Nibley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: North Nibley St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
NORTH NIBLEY -
10/89 Tyndale Monument with railed
Commemorative monument to William Tyndale, dated 1866. By S.S.
Teulon for 2nd Earl of Ducie. Limestone ashlar; marlstone
enrichment. Square base with upper and lower weathered plinths,
lower having 5 small gables to each face except for east. East
side has shouldered-arched doorway with steel door and circular
inscription tablet over in pointed-arched recess. Tablet reads:
'ERECTED A.D. 1866 IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF WILLIAM TYNDALE,
TRANSLATOR OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE WHO FIRST CAUSED THE NEW TESTAMENT
TO BE PRINTED IN THE MOTHER TONGUE OF HIS COUNTRYMEN; BORN NEAR
THIS SPOT, HE SUFFERED MARTYRDOM AT VILVORDE IN FLANDERS ON 6TH
OCTOBER 1536'. Tower is c36m high, tapering above upper plinth.
On each face recess with moulded semi-circular arch and pointed
canopy over surmounted by stone cross. Pairs of small lancets run
up east and west faces; single pair of lancets at high level on
north and south sides, all having relieving arches with alternating
limestone and marlstone voussoirs. At top of each face large
pointed-arched opening with attached colonettes and quatrefoil-
pierced stone balustrade between with iron screen above.
Machicolated eaves and stone pyramidal top to tower surmounted by
bold cross. Stands within square railed enclosure, railings having
spear tops. William Tyndale was born in North Nibley village in
1484. A prominent landmark on this part of the escarpment.
(M. Saunders, 'Samuel Saunders Teulon' in Ed R. Brown, The
Architectural Outsiders, 1985; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: ST7432195628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings