History in Structure

Basildon Park

A Grade I Listed Building in Basildon, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4991 / 51°29'56"N

Longitude: -1.1215 / 1°7'17"W

OS Eastings: 461077

OS Northings: 178160

OS Grid: SU610781

Mapcode National: GBR 926.Z4X

Mapcode Global: VHCZ2.HLZ5

Plus Code: 9C3WFVXH+J9

Entry Name: Basildon Park

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 394752

ID on this website: 101221097

Location: Lower Basildon, West Berkshire, RG8

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Basildon

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Basildon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Neoclassical architecture English country house Historic house museum

Find accommodation in


SU 67 NW

Basildon Park



Mansion. 1776-83, by John Carr in the Palladian style; some alterations and internal details by J.B. Papworth in 1839-42. 3:3:3:7:3:3:3 bay rhythm. Centre block: Bath stone ashlar with plinth, rusticated basement with raised band above, first floor cill string and string below cornice. Central tetrastyle Ionic portico in antis over slightly projecting basement beneath with triangular pediment above. Dentil cornice and parapet to hipped slate roof with six stacks and central light well. Three storeys comprising basement, piano nobile, and attic; seven bays, glazing bar sashes. Attic windows with architraves, three in centre with two-light casements; first floor windows with balustrading beneath, architraves and cornices. Three central basement arches to loggia with paired Doric columns and pilasters, and panelled plaster ceiling with paterae and husks. Central half glazed double doors with fanlight, flanked by two arched glazing bar sashes. Twin internal staircases with wrought iron balustrade to portico with first floor balustrade and rich soffit including dentil cornice, paterae and guilloche ornament. Central half glazed double doors of circa 1840.

Pavilions: Bath stone ashlar with plinth, plat band above ground floor windows, first floor cill string and string below cornice. Dentil cornice with triangular pediment to slate roof with central ridge stack. Rectangular plan with recessed corners. Two storeys; three bays, glazing bar sashes, those on first floor with balustrading beneath, and arched on ground floor.

Screen Walls: four walls, flanking each pavilion. Ashlar with plinth and raised band below alternating solid and balustraded parapet. One storey; three bays, glazing bar sashes and central six-panelled door with architrave and cornice.

Rear elevation: centre block of five bays with central canted bay and balustraded parapet. Central first floor Venetian window with Ionic columns and antae supporting frieze and cornice. Central ground floor half glazed double doors. Screen walls with two niches flanking central six-panelled door with architrave and triangular pediment. Six bay side elevations to centre block with bracketed cornices to first floor windows. Four bay side elevations to pavilions.

Interior: Neo-classical Carr interior with some later work by Papworth. Good C18 plasterwork, probably largely by William Roberts. Some fittings come from Panton Hall, Lincolnshire, by John Carr, replacing those sold after 1928. The principal rooms include; Entrance Hall: paired Corinthian pilasters supporting rich frieze and sumptuously plastered coved ceiling. Wall plasterwork includes griffons and military trophies above doors. Fireplace doors, and doorcases from Panton. The Library: rich frieze with griffons. Door surround, dado rail, fireplace and bookcases from Panton. Staircase Hall: double height space lit from above by two lunettes on each side, the flat roof replacing Carr's groin vault after 1939-45 war. Rich triglyph frieze and cornice with guttae. Five-flight square well staircase, bracketed balcony with decorated plaster soffit, and two arches to groin vaulted corridor on third. Wrought iron balustrading with medallions. Wall plasterwork with griffons. Dining Room: segmental tunnel vault, rich frieze, panelled ceiling, and screen of Corinthian columns to west. Stuccoed wall panels with facsimilies of original grisaille allegories by Theodore de Bruyn, later Papworth paintings having been removed after 1928. Doorcases and chimneypiece from Panton. Octagon Drawing Room: completed by Papworth with rich panelled ceiling. Venetian window with Roman Doric columns. Green Drawing Room: Carr ceiling and cornice. Doors, doorcases and chimney piece from Panton. Lower Hall: Corinthian columns, replacing Doric columns as loggia, removed after 1928. Flagged floor, panelled ceiling and frieze by Carr. Billiard Room: octagonal with Ionic columns replacing Corinthian columns removed after 1928. Frieze by Carr. Bedrooms retain some Carr fittings, shell room decorated with shells.

House built for Sir Francis Sykes, employee of the East India Company. Sold to James Morrison in 1838 and completed internally by J.B. Papworth. This is a very complete and important example of a John Carr house.

Listing NGR: SU6107778160

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.