History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willot Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Prestbury, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3194 / 53°19'9"N

Longitude: -2.1693 / 2°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 388817

OS Northings: 380287

OS Grid: SJ888802

Mapcode National: GBR FZ91.4T

Mapcode Global: WHBB8.NT6N

Entry Name: Willot Hall

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 413844

Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Prestbury

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Prestbury

Listing Text

SJ 88 SE PRESTBURY C.P. WILMSLOW ROAD
(South Side)

2/223 Willot Hall

25/7/1952

GV II*

Formerly hall, then farmhouse, now house: later C15 with rewalling in
stone C17 and repairs and additions in brick late C17. Major
restoration and extension of solar dated 1939. Partly in coursed
squared buff sandstone rubble, partly in English garden wall bond
orange brick. Kerridge stone slate roof, stone ridge and 3 lateral
chimneys. Originally rectangular in plan 2½ storey, 4-bay front to
pre-1939 portion. Right 3 bays divided by buttresses have C20 3 and
4-light stone mullioned windows with hard moulds and C20 timber framed
dormers with 3-light windows. To left solar is brick on rubble
plinth. Plinth has 2 rubble hood moulds. Brick bands at 1st and 2nd
floor. C20 chamfered stone doorcase contains moved original studded
5-board door with a 4-light C20 mullioned window to left. Above is a
tall 4-light stone mullioned window with a pair of segmental brick
heads above and a similar 3-light with painted leaded glazing in the
stone-coped and ball finialled gable. To left are additions in style.
Added to rear of hall is range in brick with tall stone mullioned
windows, brick bands and lateral chimneys.
Interior: Plan of hall, solar, screens passage and service rooms
survives with some alterations, the hall having been re-opened to the
roof. The spere truss and parts of the other trusses survive. These
have arch-braced cambered tiebeams which carry a braced crown post
which braces the collar purlin only. All the rafters are C20
replacements. The screen is timber framed with 3 rebated doorways and
wattle and daub infill. A gallery has been created above with
Jacobean panelling and all this feature may be reconstructed or moved.
A door of 2 large and 2 small central panels all with raised fields,
opens from the end of the screen's passage into an added kitchen with
a large brick fireplace with timber fire beam and chamfered ceiling
beams. A similar door opens into a pantry, and both rooms have
diamond-shaped stone flag floors. The original hall may have been
timber-framed for an arch braced length of wall plate survives in the
hall.


Listing NGR: SJ8881780287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.