History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dean Row Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dean Row, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3307 / 53°19'50"N

Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W

OS Eastings: 387102

OS Northings: 381544

OS Grid: SJ871815

Mapcode National: GBR FY3X.KR

Mapcode Global: WHBB8.7KY0

Entry Name: Dean Row Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414104

Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Wilmslow

Built-Up Area: Dean Row

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Wilmslow St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wilmslow

Listing Text

SJ 88 SE WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. ADLINGTON ROAD
(South Side)

2/233 Dean Row Unitarian
Chapel

30/3/1951

GV II*

Formerly Presbyterian, now Unitarian Chapel c.1695: restorations of
1844 and 1971. English garden wall bond red brick with sandstone
dressings. Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. Long
rectangular plan. 2-storey symmetrical 8-bay south front. End bays
project slightly and have elliptical brick arched heads to small
porches with studded board doors with iron fishtail strap hinges
behind. To the inside of each end bay is a flight of 13 external
steps with stone coped side wall which lead to similar doors to the
galleries. Between are 4 2-light rebated chamfered stone mullioned
windows with brick hood moulds below and 6 similar windows above (all
restored). Bronze war memorial plaques in the centre. Both gables are
stone-coped and ball finialled, the west one having a sanctus
bellcote.
Interior: Galleries at both ends, the east one now with organ. Altar
table enclosed by curving rail at east end and pulpit of 3 levels of
recessed moulded panels, now moved from centre of north side. Front
of west gallery records past ministers and is supported by an
ovolo-moulded beam.

Very similar to the chapels at Macclesfield and Knutsford of almost
the same date, though has lost its original interior layout, in
restoration of 1844, when pulpit and seating arrangement re-organised.


Listing NGR: SJ8710281544


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.